Fourteen

I watched her the entire time I was driving , she was shaking her leg and chewing the inside of her cheeks this is what she did to keep herself from crying I reached out to touch her and she pulled away from me. I know she was upset but I wanted to help her calm down when I stepped out of the house I looked up quiet places like the one she has back home and found one about 20 minutes from where we were. We pulled into the place and I climbed out of the truck and walked over to her side opening her door.

" Dell I wanna go home ."

" Babe just please come with me I want to show you something. "

She hesitated and then grabbed my hand climbing out of the truck. We walked down the path until we came to a clearing in the path. There was a waterfall and the greenery was beautiful she looked over at me with tears in her eyes.

" How did you know about this place ?"

" I goggled it when I stepped out so that you and Rae could talk. I knew it would be a good idea after all of this. "

She wrapped her arms around me and I hugged her small frame this was what I wanted I just wanted her to let me hold her. I sat down in the grass and she sat between my legs and we watched the waterfall I ran my fingers through her hair and she closed her eyes humming softly and then she started singing quietly. I never noticed she had such a pretty voice.

" My mother used to sing to me when I couldn't sleep she had such a beautiful voice she was a beautiful person inside and out idk why my dad wanted to hurt her all the time."

" Maybe he was insecure Bug maybe he felt like the only way he could keep her around was fear. "

" My mother loved him they weren't always unhappy with each other I don't remember that well but when I see pictures I know you can't fake that kind of happiness. "

She closed her eyes and wiped away tears escaping her eyes , her phone started ringing and it was Mel. She picked it up and out her on speaker

" Hey Mama what's up you okay?"

" LaneyBug , Rae is here and she's pretty beaten up her hands have glass in them she has a few bruises she won't let me call the ambulance she keeps asking for you I don't know what to do."

She stood up quickly holding her hand out to help me stand. And we started back toward the car quickly

" Mom just keep her don't call anyone I'm on my way ! I'll be there in 30 minutes just tell her to hold on ."

She opened the car door and got in the passenger side I already know it's going to take all of 15 minutes because Delaney drives like a mad woman when she's upset. She put her seatbelt on and sped off I didn't bother her this time because I know she's in that mind frame. We pulled up to the house exactly 13 minutes later I'm glad this was her truck cause I don't want the tickets ! She jumped out of the car leaving it on and ran in the house. I turned the car off and sat there for a second she's always running to rescue someone else but hid from rescue for so long. I took the keys out and walked into the house Mel was sitting in the kitchen Rae and Delaney were out by the pool.

" Just the man I wanted to see , Odell can I ask for your help ? I want to surprise Delaney for her birthday it's coming up in 2 months and I want to have the adoption papers ready by then but I wanna plan a trip for her can you pay close attention to things she mentions or places she wants to visit?"

This sounded like an amazing idea it would mean so much to Bug , but how come she didn't tell me about her birthday ?