Chapter Nineteen | Blast from the Past

May sat silently at the dining table as her father looked over the bits of paper she had stolen from Josh's file. From the kitchen she could hear her mum's voice casually talking to Harry about the perfect ham to cheese ratio in his sandwich, while Chad was snoring in the lounge room. Nate sat beside her, straight faced and completely serious as Braydon put his hand to his forehead and slowly dragged it down his mouth looking completely exhausted.

"Well, he fooled all of us May." He finally said, shaking his head before looking at it again in disbelief. "What we do next will have to depend on you."

"Me?" May asked, unsure what he meant by that.

"I don't want you going anywhere him and every instinct I have is telling me to find him now to rip that little son of a bitch apart." Braydon said it so easily he may as well have been talking about the weather. "But, so far you have done more than anyone else and I will listen to what you want to do before making my own decision on the matter."

May wasn't expecting that. Arguments about her being locked in the basement for her own safekeeping, or being sent to her grandparents, maybe even going on a 'holiday' with Rory while he does something business related - yes. Never did she think they'd want her opinion, and actually listen to it. Her mouth opened and then closed, before she looked at Nate. He gave a little shrug and nodded at her to go on.

"Um..." She paused, and meeting Braydons eyes wasn't sure what he wanted her to say. "The stuff in those folders, there was so much Dad. You guys were right, that facility you found wasn't their only one, and if we attack again, it has to be done so that they're all stopped."

"I agree."

"Okay, um, good. I want to hurt Josh so bad. I don't know what I'll do when I see him again." May confessed; a hardness to her tone she'd never heard before. "His name, it isn't even Josh. I think it's Thomas Molloy."

She watched as he wrote that down. "What else May, was there anything else you can remember?"

"They'd marked the shifters on this like, family tree thing in red. The rest of us had green ticks. Dad, who was, oh um, what was it. Manuel Confetti? There was a Carolina too, but she's King now isn't she, not, oh, Corbetti. There was a question mark around her name, and he had a black cross."

"He was her father. He's dead." Was all he said, clearly not willing to go any further.

"There were Winters on there too Dad. I thought you said your family was all gone?"

"They are. They're not my family."

It was then Miranda came in and hearing the end of that conversation, she put her hand on Braydon's forearm.

"No, but they are still your blood." He growled, not looking at her as he stared at the pen in front of him as she continued. "You know about your father spending time in the wild May, about him shifting early and what followed. We have never told you everything that happened once he came home with me."

"What do you mean?"

"Part of the reason why Carolina did, what she did, was because of his Uncle Nicholas."

"His name was there." May confirmed. "Why didn't you tell me before?"

"I don't like to talk about or for you to know you have relatives that are just, monsters." Braydon confessed, talking slowly as he mumbled through a conversation he clearly didn't want to have.

"If they're in danger too, shouldn't we warn them?" Miranda wondered.

"No. They never came to my aid before, why should I go to theirs?"