Chapter Ten: Temptation and Desire

"YOU really don't have to give me this. I originally wanted to get the money myself, which is why I didn't bring it up." He snatched Ophelia's hand and placed two bills of money in it.

"Where exactly would you get it from? This is your job. You give me your blood; I give you money. That is how it works here in case you have forgotten how your contract works. If I were to deny you money, that would be illegal, and I would most certainly be targeted to be killed." Ophelia didn't understand the vampire system that had changed so much over the years. It was against vampire laws to feed off the same human more than once without consent, or without a blood binding. If a vampire were to break this rule, they would be returning to the customs of "Blood Slaves" something that was long banned centuries ago. It was practically forced labor. This was why Ophelia's case was worrying. Those children were held against their will for God knows how long and it was someone's job to shed light on the situation that many have turned a blind eye to. Jon was going to find these vampires that spit on their names.

Jon ushered her away before Ophelia could argue again. "I have work to get done. If you have any other concerns, pester Tobias about it. As a matter of fact, go fetch him and tell him I want to speak to him while you're whining to him."

He was in an awful mood this morning, probably because he was awake this morning when he was supposed to be sleeping.

"I'll go get him." She murmured, balling her first around the wads of cash. She left the study and went to retrieve Tobias, who was chatting with another vampire. Being here for nearly a month, she still had yet to meet everyone that belonged to Jon Cross.

She was a beautiful woman. Her legs, as well as the rest of her body, were lean; the slightest bit of muscular.

"Do you believe Jon 's angry with me?" She asked Tobias, who still rubbing the sleep from his eyes as he made breakfast for the high school girl in the doorway.

"No, of course not. He may be bitter because he adored you as a Warrior but he's not angry with your decision. He accepts it. It's just a challenge to find a new one before the war begins." The vampire flipped her silky, ink-colored mane over her shoulder.

"Maybe I should assign myself to him once more." Tobias placed a plate on the table and shook his head.

"He won't take you back. You know that, Yami." Ophelia stepped into the kitchen and glanced at Tobias.

"Jon says he wants to speak to you." At the sound of her voice, Yami turned and glanced at Ophelia.

"You're his Blood Bride, right?" Ophelia nodded shyly, and Yami swooped her eyes over her in a scrutinizing manner that made Ophelia shift in discomfort. "You picked a pretty one. No wonder he wanted to keep her hidden from everyone." She muttered to Tobias before turning around and getting up from her chair. "I'm returning to bed until later this evening. I will speak to Jon then." Yami said to Tobias, sauntering off upstairs.

Once she disappeared, Ophelia stepped into the kitchen and sat down.

"Apologies if what she said made you feel uncomfortable. Yami is not one to censor herself." Tobias placed a waffle onto her plate and covered it with syrup. Ophelia gave a flustered smile, shaking her head.

"I don't mind, if anything it was flattering." Tobias tossed the dirty pans into the sink and wiped his hands with a hand towel that hung on one of the handles of the cabinets.

"You said Master Cross wanted me? He is awake? At this hour?" Ophelia nodded as she grabbed her fork and knife to cut into the waffle.

"Alright, thank you for letting me know. Eat breakfast, and inform me when you are ready to leave." Tobias walked passed her and stroked her hair. She nearly purred at the sensation. She couldn't remember the last time she had received such pleasant affection. Her mother had been so ill; she could barely raise her hand. Her father had been gone for quite some time, so Ophelia was on her own.