Chapter Twenty-One: Another Life Taken

THE moment they stepped into the bank, was the same moment everyone fell into silence, eyes glued to scrutinize the unfamiliar guests.

"Don't make eye contact, don't speak, and lastly, don't give them any indication that you're afraid."

It was a task to rid the feelings of discomfort with the many vampires that eyed them with distaste. They walked amongst humans, the humans having no idea that vampires existed in the same establishment as they.

Jon allowed his eyes to wander the premises, taking in the bland colors of the white and cream walls filled with tacky paintings. He observed the vampires behind the glass of each booth where people on line went to make withdrawals and deposits. He was able to sense the uneasiness the vampires experienced in his presence from the way their orbs would illuminate before rapidly darkening.

So far, he didn't see much to be worried about. There were four exits, one back exit, one near the front, one to the right, and he knew there was one towards the back where the currency was kept.

With a few glances around, he already knew the place like the back of his hand.

He then decided to approach one of the four humans sitting in cubicles.

He guided Ophelia in the direction of a naturally red-haired woman, freckles scattering along her nose and cheeks. She noticed them approach, greeting them with a robotic smile.

"Good evening sir. Is there any way I can assist you?" Jon tipped up his face, adjusting his tie.

"I will only need a moment of your time. I am just curious as to if there are any openings in the committee meetings within this establishment. I am coming from another bank and I would care to meet with the owner of this founding."

While Jon spoke to the spiffily dressed lady behind her desk, Ophelia multitasked, listening to his conversation and gazing around at her surroundings until her eyes fell upon a familiar set of faces.

"I apologize, there are no available spots as of right now. But if you give me some of your personal contact information, I will happily call and notify you when a chair is available."

One of the faces was the man she had encountered at the mall that night with Marissa, the one with the business suit with slicked-back brown hair, and at his side was a female who bore vibrant purple hair, an hourglass figure, and a wan complexion. Rectangular glasses were pushed up along the bridge of her nose, her red orbs casting in her direction.

With that small action of the vampire standing across the space, a suppressed memory was triggered, dragging Ophelia from the present and throwing her in her grim past.

_________________

"Do you really think it is a good idea to be sampling your own merchandise?"

Ophelia held onto Marissa's hand tightly, the three of them cleaned and primped in white dresses and shoes. Kyle stood amongst them, dressed in a white shirt and black pants. Ophelia and Marissa were sure to stay away from him, standing on the other side of Rhi.

"Nothing wrong with testing your own merchandise." It was the vampire with the topaz eyes. The one she had feared for many, many years. The one who killed her father. The one with the incomprehensible voice.

His home was the largest Ophelia had ever laid eyes on. She could see from the doorway of the home the lavish lifestyle he lived. Gilded railings for the stairs and plush wine-red carpeting were the prettiest things she's seen in such a long time after living in a cage like a rat.