Chapter Twenty: Stone to Emotion

"I took advantage of a grieving girl. Tobias. That wasn't right." Jon said pacing the living room. The sun was up and it was a time both vampires should have been asleep. It was close to noon when Tobias was woken from his slumber by a knock on his door. He hadn't even opened his eyes as he slumped out of bed knowing exactly who was at the door.

He expected such a thing to happen. Long before it even occurred. That's just how Jon was, and he never changed.

"You didn't take advantage of her." Tobias yawned, stretching his fangs. "If you hadn't noticed over the many, many years I've known you, you are not the best at consoling. Whenever I am angry or upset, somehow, I always ended up in your bed. Same with Yami. You just think sex is another way of consolation, and quite frankly it can be."

"That doesn't change the fact that she is a mortal. A mere human." Tobias curled up on his couch, resting his head on a throw pillow.

"No, I don't agree with the fact that you committed the act. I expected as much. You were only consoling her in the one way you knew how."

Jon ran his fingers through his obsidian locks and huffed. Maybe Tobias was right.

"What if it was for selfish reasons?" Jon stopped pacing, feeling something he hadn't felt in years of being a vampire.

Guilt.

He rarely had ever felt guilt, becoming a drone without any emotional attachment.

Tobias opened his eyes and smiled at Jon, propping himself up on his elbow.

"Then you merely killed two birds with one stone. It wasn't like you've forced her."

"She was vulnerable-"

"And capable of her decisions. If she's conscious enough to decide she wants to fight in a war where she could possibly lose her life, then she is capable enough grant herself consent."

Tobias was so contradicting. First, he made her out to be this vulnerable child in need of coddling, now she was a grown adult. Which she was but she couldn't possibly make rational decisions being so upset.

"I have a feeling you're just telling me what I want to hear." Jon glared at him and Tobias sighed heavily.

Tobias sat up fully, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. "Don't be ridiculous. You know I am always one to speak my mind." Jon held his gaze, his jaw clenched as he waited for Tobias to speak further on the topic. "I simply had a change of heart. Seeing you wallow in guilt was enough to sway me. I have never seen you so bound by emotion. That's why I don't believe you did this out of lust."

Jon looked down at the flooring. He still didn't feel better about it. Less guilt-ridden at most. He just never believed he'd stoop as low as he had tonight.

"In addition, she is your Blood Bride. You gave her your mark, so you are certain to feel something, even if it is small. You and Ophelia have a keen connection that she will never have with someone else. If anything, you strengthened it."

When he saw his master's shoulders loosen in an exhale of relief, he too eased back against the soft cushions of the couch.

"Now go on to bed, Master Cross. You need to rest." Jon dipped his head, taking steady steps towards Tobias' bed to retrieve his comforter, then returning to him and draping the fabric over his being.

He gently glided his fingers under Tobias' chin, drawing up his face to place a soft kiss on his lips. A significant sign of affection. Tobias' muscles tensed with bliss, a tremor racing through his chest where his heart used to beat. His hooded gaze desired to close and savor Jon's lips, but it was over within seconds.