Chapter Twelve: The Undoing of Greed

"ARE you crazy?" Tobias hissed to Jon, the three of them stood in the main lobby of the hotel. After a few meager miles to the hotel, Jon had finally arrived. Thankfully it was in time. It was nearing sunrise and he honestly didn't feel like burning into ashes today.

"Am I crazy? You were the one who said she possibly had the blood of a Warrior, and right you were."

"I was joking!" Tobias exclaimed, Jon ignoring servant's panicked state.

"For someone who could barely lift her suitcase when she arrived, she proved to be quite the shock. She went from not being able to lift her suitcase to committing murder." Still, she clung to him and shook like a leaf. As far as Jon was concerned, her fear was just temporary. She would get over the shock of tonight. She would have to if she was going to fight alongside him. Besides, a dead body wasn't a big deal, was it? He's seen millions of them in his lifetime. Plague, famine, war, all sorts of things took the lives of humans. It was just a cycle in his eyes. Life and death, except for vampires. They lived forever unless someone manually ended their eternal lives they were doomed to live.

She's seen the dead before. She just needed to remember what she had done. What had happened. If she could remember, the same drive she used to kill that vampire tonight would push her in the war. It would give her a reason to fight.

From the glisten in her eyes, he saw a reason skimming the surface. Her hatred for vampires was something he needed to wake within her if he wanted her to kill in a savage fashion as she did tonight.

"Master Cross, she's a human." Tobias gritted his teeth as he leaned in.

"I am well aware." Jon saw the card keys in his pocket and snatched one from him before he began to walk away towards the elevator.

Tobias chased after him, unable to find the right words to tell him that this was wrong.

"Master Cross, I just...you can't... maybe you should possibly rethink this."

The elevator opened and let out a handful of people, Jon stepping in after letting everyone off.

"I have. And my decision is final." When Jon had his mind set to something, that was it. There was no convincing him otherwise. "While you're stuck in your stupor, call the other two servants over and explain to then the war has started." Tobias was left slack-jawed by the time the doors closed.

They rode the elevator up to the tenth floor. Flint was supposedly on the floor above them, and Jon was glad to be in close quarters. He would be able to keep an eye on him. Figuratively of course. He wouldn't be able to see him from a floor away.

Jon strode down the hall paved with beige carpeting and bland cream-colored walls to a deep mahogany door with a metal device clasped to it. He pushed the card into the lock device and it beeped. Jon opened the door to the lavish room.

The room was painted eggshell white, its lace moldings drawn along the walls made the room all the more appealing. The furniture was a tone of ivory with accents of bronze. The sofa and chairs near the large windows were the same color, as we're the beds and bed sheets.

He listened to Ophelia's breathing, pondering whether he should rest her on the bed, or place her on her feet.

In the end, he decided on the latter and set her down.

"You ought to get some sleep it's almost morning an-" Before Jon could finish, she dashed off to the bathroom and slammed the door so hard it shook the room and the tasteless paintings on the wall. He was surprised it didn't break off the hinges.

Jon took in a breath and her ear-splitting scream tore through the room. Jon exhaled sharply with a shake of his head.

"If you're having a nervous breakdown, fine by me. Just be sure you have it quietly. I'm going to sleep." He spoke loud enough to hear over her sniveling in the bathroom.