Chapter Twenty-Six: Gunfire

JON managed to catch one of the guards as everyone escaped, gripping the collar of his shirt and throwing him into the wall. A crack formed along the foundation, an indentation where his body landed molding into the damage.

He tried to scuttle away, Jon pressing his shoe to the vampire's windpipe, threatening to kill him if he made any movements. Fright existed in his eyes, his hands trying to pry Jon's foot away from his throat.

It was now just the five of them in the mess of the ballroom.

Balloons askew, napkins covering the floor, shattered wine glass, blood stains.

"How stupid could you possibly be? Involving Ophelia in that poorly planned scheme?" Tobias scolded, Jon ignoring his chastising momentarily.

"Where did he take her?" When the vampire didn't answer, Jon pushed more of his weight against his throat until he sputtered a response.

"King Letum directed them to take her to Cambodia. He insisted they take her there." Jon grit his teeth, an animalistic hiss forcing the vampire to stutter another sentence. "He-He wanted her blood to be used for soldiers in the war!"

Jon didn't waste any time crushing his windpipe against the marble floor, already having all the information he needed.

He adjusted his tie and dragged his attention away from the corpse.

"Tobias call in a private jet and-"

"I already did." He lowered the phone from his ear and buried it in the pocket of his suit. "This isn't the first time I had to undo one of your impulsive actions."

Already furious and anxious, Jon's temper was at its peak.

In a fit of rage, the crack of the back of his hand echoed off the empty walls of the palace.

Tobias wasn't stunned when a burning sensation lashed across the side of his face, the impact of the hit forcing him to glance off to the side. In fact, he expected it. He most certainly deserved it for stepping out of line.

"Know your place." Jon lowered his hand and flared his nostrils. His ice blue eyes showed not an ounce of remorse for his actions. He swallowed roughly, tipping his head back in the slightest. "That will be the last time you demean me."

Tobias didn't move an inch, keeping his hardened stare focused with the wall as the pale flesh along his cheek reddened.

No one moved, as Jon turned his heel, his shoes tapping down the hall.

"We'll wait for the escort to come and we will arrive at Cambodia within two hours the least."

_________________

The world was seen through slits of black, droughts of color, then a haze of a dim blue hue.

Her being was slouched forward, hands bound behind her back with nylon cords.

In her poor vision, she could see dark figures stretch out in front of her. Three different beings.

"We should sample the product before we ship it, shouldn't we?" A female voice that bore French heritage queried to another shadow at her side.

"You know King Letum's rules, Fleur. The only person who samples the product is the customer unless the product is ill." The male shared the same thick accent, leading her to believe that they shared the same ethnicity.

She grunted against the taste of sweat caked fabric lodged between her teeth.

"She's awake. Should we make her unconscious again, Remi?" Her head was bobbing as she tried to hold herself up and glance at her surroundings. The only senses that weren't completely deprived were her sense of smell and her hearing.