Chapter Nineteen: Goodnight

VERMONT. Her mother was in a hospital in Vermont. A five-hour drive.

"Pull a few strings, Tobias. Get me someone here in under thirty minutes." Jon ordered the vampire at his door, while the young girl waited by, staring off in shock.

Jon wasn't exactly sure who Tobias would call, but he knew the entirety of the situation and would be smart about it.

It was midnight, which meant the sun would be rising in a few hours, so they needed to do this quickly.

Tobias dialed a number after taking a short amount of time to think before he began speaking to someone on the other end.

Shortly after, he hung up and glanced at Ophelia.

"I have managed to secure a helicopter from the hospital your mother is checked into. They will pick you up and drop you off directly at the hospital. They should be here shortly."

Jon could always count on Tobias. There never was a time when he had let him down. That is why Jon has chosen to keep him at his side for the many years they've been together.

He must have used a mind manipulation trick to obtain their escort.

"Go to the roof of the building and I'll try to distract the lobby men from the fuss."

Jon dipped his head and took Ophelia's hand, guiding her out of the apartment.

"Thank you, Tobias. I will be sure to call you and keep you informed of everything." Tobias left without another word, and Jon knew it was because he was focusing on the task at hand.

He would leave his servants behind here and take the trip to Vermont. As much as it was a risk, Jon wouldn't deny her of seeing her mother for her last moments. That would be cruel. A few hours out of the trip would not interfere with his plans.

He ushered a dazed Ophelia, up the emergency stairwell and to the roof of the building where they waited silently.

Jon knew there was nothing he could say or do to comfort her. Nothing at all. He wouldn't lie and say it would be okay.

Their source of transportation arrived, the loud roaring of the rotating blades never stopping as he and another man helped Ophelia inside.

Her stare was vacant. Unafraid like she had been on the plane. Her face was one that was stuck in thought.

And stuck in thought she was.

Ophelia sat in that swaying death trap and her eyes fixated upon her hands.

This felt like a nightmare, just as every other bad event Ophelia has dreamt about.

She didn't want to believe the doctors' words. How could she be dying if she said she was getting better just a few hours ago?

Did she lie? Had she known she was going to die all this time?

Ophelia clutched her fists tightly.

She wouldn't have lied, would she? Didn't her mother love her? Why would she lie to her?

What was she going to do? She couldn't die. If she died, what would Ophelia be working for? For Jon? Jon wasn't her family, was he? Ophelia would have no one left if she died tonight.

This wasn't how it was supposed to be.

"Ophelia." When she snapped from her thoughts, the loud roar of the helicopter had completely died out. It was replaced by hushed voices and the smell of disinfectant.

"Ophelia White?" Ophelia found herself standing in the middle of a hall in the hospital, unsure as to when she even landed. Her thoughts kept her from fully functioning.