Chapter 21 - Another Scandal

Regret was the first emotion that washed over Eli when he first woke up. But even that single word would put what he was feeling lightly. He felt angry, furious, like he wanted to punch something really bad. He threw away his covers and made his way into the bathroom. Luckily, Clara was nowhere in sight, which was clearly a silver lining. He wasn't cut out to deal with the 'let's have an early brunch' drama at the moment.

After a quick dental floss and shower, he made his way out into the living room, dressed for the day. The Thursday cleaning crew greeted him on the way out as he looked around for Ace. It didn't take him long to figure out that she wasn't here. The house reeked of her absence.

He wanted to apologize, though he didn't find anything of his fault, still he felt like apologizing to her and making a truce. Just the thought of her being upset didn't sit right with him. I will be miserable for the rest of my life. Her words haunted him. He was making her life miserable, just like she predicted prior to their marriage. I would never let your life become miserable. He remembered his promise that he made to himself, which he couldn't keep up. After all, what did he give her in this few days of their married life? – Pain, tears and heart ache.

He hated himself in that moment. He wanted to make her happy and he decided that he would, but how? He didn't even know what her favorite flower is. He shook his head in dismay, You suck as a husband! A voice yelled in his ear which made him feel even more miserable than he was already feeling.

Just hang in there, Ace. I am coming for you, and I will make sure that the smile on your face returns at once and never ever leaves your face again.

***

Sang sat there at the breakfast table, toying with her food carelessly and ignoring her parents' curious looks. She was never a heavy eater; some would even say that she ate like a bird. But today it was a complete different matter; she wasn't feeling any hunger though she hadn't had a morsel after that last evening.

"Honey! Stop toying with the food" her mother chided. It didn't go unnoticed by the de Silva's that her daughter came home late at night alone and went to bed without having dinner. The red puffy eyes and the pale face were enough clue for them to guess that it was one of their 'husband wife' quarrels. "Do you want some fruit? There are some straw berries", Mrs. De Silva said passing her a bowl of fruit.

"Thanks ma", Sang said taking the fruit bowl from her mother. She was avoiding their eyes and curious looks. She couldn't bring herself to admit about what happened at her house. She found it embarrassing and more over humiliating. How could she ever admit to anyone that her husband bought another woman to their house and spent the night with her in their bedroom? She felt ashamed of herself, for being such a pathetic wife.

You won't care if I bring another woman to our house?

His question haunted her all night. Yes, she wouldn't mind, then why did she? Why did it hurt her to see Eli with another woman? Why does it bother her that he doesn't love her like a husband should? Why does she always react in such an absurd way, when Eli does something so predictable?

She wasn't a dreamer. She knew what she was getting into when she agreed to marry him. It was crystal clear to her how her married life and dear husband would be. She never, not even for a second, hoped for him to change his ways or fall in love with her. She always knew and she accepted her miserable future.

Then why did it hurt so much? You aren't as strong as you thought you are, huh? Her subconscious mocked her. She shook her head and let the snide remarks of her brain pass away.