seventeen.

before luke and calum knew it, the twins were about to turn one. time had flown by like crazy, and the past year they had spent together wasn't like anything they had ever imagined it to be. calum kept his promise and stayed fully clean, and he hardly even felt the urge to smoke or drink, courtesy of ayla, brooks, and especially luke. all three of them kept calum's mind so occupied, he didn't even have time to think about it, much less actually give in and do it. it wasn't like he wanted to anymore, though. it was like he was an entirely different person. he doesn't depend on drugs or alcohol to bring him happiness anymore because now, he has a family, and he's never been happier because of them.

ayla and brooks were two of the silliest babies the calum and luke had ever seen, but they absolutely adored that about them. there was hardly a time when the kids weren't giggling with one another, babbling in a way that only each other could understand. luke and calum could make out a few words here and there, but it was usually a big stretch and pretty far off from how the word was supposed to sound. they always praised them for it, though, because they knew that they were trying. the babies were adorable, their parents couldn't help but swoon and coo over them almost all the time. they couldn't help it, they were completely and utterly infatuated with their two little humans they created, and who could blame them?

- - - - -

"come on buddy, come to daddy! you can do it, bubs!" calum called from a few feet away with his arms outstretched ready for brooks to come wobbling over to him. currently, luke and calum were trying to teach their son to walk on his own. ayla had mastered the task a few days ago, and was now standing next to calum screaming, "bee! bee!" using her nickname for her brother as her way of encouraging him. she bounced up and down while gripping the sleeve of calum's t-shirt, clapping her hands every now and then when she thought brooks would finally take a step on his own.

luke sat opposite of calum and ayla, sitting on his knees with brooks in his lap. "go get daddy, bee!" he said excitedly as he helped brooks to his feet. the boy giggled as he held on to both of luke's pointer fingers as he took a few shaky steps closer to his other dad. growing slightly more confident, brooks let go of his father's fingers. he wobbled at first, and his smile disappeared instantly when he looked like he was about to fall, but he quickly steadied himself, and his smile returned when he heard his dad and sister call his name once more. the toddler took one tiny step on his own, and as he went to take the next, he lost his footing and fell flat on his face.

"bee! bee!" ayla yelled as she waddled over to her screaming brother. the boy rolled over onto his back and threw his hands in the air, screaming "dada," one of the only words he could actually say.

calum crawled over to the crying boy and picked him up, cradling him in his arms. "you're okay, bubs, you're alright. i've got ya," he soothed, kissing his son's forehead. luckily, brooks fell on the carpet, but he was a fragile little guy and cried almost every time he so much as bumped into something, and he wouldn't stop unless one of his daddies was there to make it better. "we'll try that again later, yeah? want lala to come give you a kissy?" calum said, repositioning brooks so that he was sitting up on calum's lap.

"l-lala," the crying boy whined as he made grabby hands towards his sister. in the midst of the crying, ayla had made her way over to luke's lap where she sat playing with her dad's hair. at the mention of her name, the girl stood to her feet (with her dad's help) and carefully walked over to her crying brother. she placed her tiny hands on both sides of brooks's face and pressed a sloppy kiss to his forehead, silencing him and his cries almost immediately.

"what about daddy?" calum asked with a tiny smirk.

ayla giggled and moved closer to calum, kissing him just as messily on the cheek.

"aw, thank you, baby, i love you," calum cooed.

luke may or may not have snapped a few pictures on his phone of his family. he was that kind of parent -- always trying to "capture the moment," insisting that they needed to document their kids' lives. calum didn't see it that way, but he never said anything about it. he knew luke loved it, so calum just decided to let him do his thing.

"i think your other daddy needs some love now, why don't you guys go give him a kiss?" calum said as he helped brooks stand up. the tiny boy was more than reluctant to try walking again, but when his sister took his hand, he took a small step forward, smiling when he realized he was still standing.

"come here, guys!" luke called excited, mimicking calum's actions as he opened his arms wide.

slowly but surely, the two toddlers wobbled into luke's arms, showering the blonde with lots of love and affection. they babbled, "dada, dada" over and over again, giggling as luke scooped them up and laid down on his back with both babies in his arms. he kissed them each several times and gently squeezed them against his chest, making the 'muah' sound effect with each kiss. "good job, bee, you did it! you walked, buddy!" luke squealed.

calum laughed as he watched the three fool around together, and he decided to join the fun. he crawled the short distance towards his family and hovered over all three of them, bending down to kiss each of his children.

"what, no kiss for me?" luke whined with a pout.

"course you get one, babes, i was just saving the best for last," calum whispered before pressing his lips to luke's.

- - - - -

lmao this has a super awkward ending but it's kinda cute, right???

this was a short lil filler (': not too exciting, but there should be more action in the next few chapters!!!

feedback pls!!!

thoughts on their cute lil family moment?

thoughts on ayla being a lil sweetheart? (':

thoughts on brooks walking?!?! (even though ayla helped him)

thoughts on luke and cal being kickass dads? 😎

thoughts in general?

is there anything in particular you guys want to see in the upcoming chapters? I'd be more than happy to try to include what YOU guys want!!!

anyways, thanks for reading this dumb book!! much love,
alex *: