Chapter 11

You walked out of the school alongside Kayano, who was happily chatting with you. You quickly learned that  she was optimistic and incredibly friendly, and talked with you as if you had been best friends with her for years. You admired the fact that she accepted you, despite being in different classes.

"So, why don't you stop by at my place today? We can eat some of my homemade pudding together. It's the least I can do to repay the favor," Kayano piped up cheerfully.

You lifted your head up at the mention of 'pudding'. Your stomach was growling from hunger, and the last time you ate was a couple of hours ago.

You smiled and nodded at Kayano's direction. "Of course I'll come!" you responded, feeling pleased that you had made a new friend.

I wish I'd known more about Class E sooner. They don't seem bad at all! you thought to yourself. You never were able to grasp the concept of exactly why Class A was so focused on staying at the top. The only thing that seems to matter in this school is fierce competition. Everyone is trying to make their way to the top, shoving the weak below them. Everyone wanted Class E at the bottom, and their attitudes showed their hatred for them.

But why did it happen? Besides, Class E has been improving drastically these days. In fact, their exam scores have been higher than ever, and they even have started participating in competitions. You heard that they would even be making a business in the food festival. But Class A didn't want this to happen. They have been working harder than ever to keep them at the bottom of the school.

"I don't understand the point of all of this commotion..." you whispered to yourself sadly. "Being number one isn't all that matters, right?"

You just sighed and shook the thoughts from your head. It wasn't like you could change the philosophy of Kunugigaoka Junior High. It seemed near-impossible for Class A to ever stand next to Class E without dispute.

"Ha, I don't even know how I got in Class A..." you muttered with a chuckle to yourself. It was strange, how this school worked...

You stood there for a moment, wondering why the school acted this way.

"Hey, you alright?"

Kayano's voice jerked you from out of your thoughts, sending you back to reality. You lifted your head up in surprise. Though you were supposed to be following her home, you were lagging behind greatly. The green-haired girl was already a couple of yards ahead of you, and was staring at you inquisitively.

"What's taking you so long?" she asked, walking back to where you were.

"Er...nothing..." you murmured hesitantly, unsure of what to say. It was strange on how Class A and Class E worked, and it was just too hard to tell someone in words about it.

Though Kayano's face was still a little worried, you forced a small smile and said, "Really, I'm fine. Let's go."

She nodded in agreement, and the two of you began walking across the sidewalk. However, you thought you saw Kayano giving you a couple of worried glances. Wincing to yourself, you tried your hardest to act like you hadn't seen them.

The two of you walked in silence for a couple of minutes, as the sun began creeping down the horizon. The cry of cicadas filled the air, and there was a cool breeze that was relieving after the hot, sticky day.

As the two of you walked across the road, Kayano said, "So, I heard that you're pretty close to Gakushu, right?"

You couldn't help but blush a little, and you averted your gaze from the ground.

"Y-yeah, that's true..." you stammered, smiling softly. "But not everyone seems to appreciate it. All of Class A practically hates me for it. They think I'm not good enough. Hmph, I don't even know how I got into that class..." Your voice trailed off, and you couldn't stop a sigh from escaping your mouth.