Chapter 16

This story is going at a slug's pace. I'M SO SORRY THAT I HAVE FAILED YOU, READER-SAMA! PLEASE FORGIVE ME! I'LL GIVE YOU VIRTUAL COOKIES! I'LL CRY FOR YOU! I'LL GIVE YOU ICE CREAM AND STUFF. I'LL -- oh, let me quit my blabbering, back to the story!

I'll write a lot in this chapter, I swear
--------------

When Gakushu came back from the chairman's office, you could tell that he was trying to hide his shock. He kept his posture straight and wore the same, confident smirk on his face. Most people wouldn't have been able to even guess that something had happened. However, you could see that he was fidgeting very slightly, and tremors were coursing through his hands and feet. His eyes showed his emotions the most, seeming to reflect both anger and regret at the same time.

Should I act like I don't know anything? Or should I tell him that I saw what happened?

Feeling torn, you just stared ahead blankly as he took his seat quietly, easily completing the classwork and homework in about two minutes. Then, instead of talking to you, he spent a lot of time staring at the walls like his life depended on it. He was acting completely out of character, and you were afraid that he would crack under pressure even if you spoke just one word to him. An awkward silence settled in the air between the two of you, and even though you attempted to focus on your classwork, you kept peering at him from the corner of your eye.

I don't know what to do about him. He usually has a pretty good hold over his emotions. How do I, out of all people, comfort Mr. Perfect?

"S-so, finished early as always, huh?" you finally managed to say, trying to lighten up the mood. As soon as he heard your voice, he glared at you for a moment, as if he were annoyed that you had disrupted him. When you flinched back in response, though, he sighed and tilted his head apologetically.

"I'm sorry, (Y/N). I'm just feeling a little feverish today," he responded, but you could tell he was lying by the anger that was still kindling in his eyes. No wonder he always wants to surpass his father... you thought, pitying him silently.

"I think I should...go to the nurse's office. It's only reasonable. I'll take your leave," he said, though a little too quickly. Then, without another word said, he started to stand up to ask permission from the teacher if he could leave. However, before he could even get up on his two legs, you suddenly pushed him back into his seat, frustration clouding your mind. You made sure to do it efficiently enough so that the rest of the class didn't notice. Luckily, they were busy in their work.

"What the heck are you doing?!" he hissed, grabbing your arm tightly. His eyes were flaming with pure anger, and it made you flinch back in surprise at his sudden outburst. However, when he saw the pain in your facial expression, he dropped your arm just as quickly and mumbled an apology. Even then, he purposefully avoided eye contact with you, as if he was still attempting to suppress his emotions.

"S-sorry, Gakushu-kun..." you stammered, backing away and accidentally falling back into your seat. As much as you loved him, you knew that he was scary when he was angry. There was no confronting him yet -- he needed time to calm down.

He ended up not going to the nurse's office, but he kept his head tilted downward for the rest of the class period. It was so unlike his personality, as if he were a turtle of some sort who only peeked out of his shell when he needed to. Other than that, he was deathly silent.

Gakushu did say that he loved me...and I love him, too. But why is our relationship still like this? Why do I feel like there's still a barrier between us?!

Right then and there, you felt like throwing your desk straight across the room to relieve your anger, because a) You were angry as hell at Gakushu for being Baka Shoe, and b) you had always wondered what the feeling would be like to hurl a desk across the room. But mainly the first part.