Chapter 12

A/N: I'm such a rebel, not updating so long...

But anyway, hope you all are enjoying the story so far!

Now for that plot twist, shall we? Don't worry--there's fluff too! XD

------------

The cicadas were humming excessively that morning when you woke up in bed that day. The sun filtered through the windows, casting rainbows against the white walls. The trees seemed to be whispering an unknown tune as the wind whistled through the delicate leaves.

It was another beautiful, normal day.

You heaved yourself from bed, and freshened up for the morning, before beginning the short walk to school. You were going slightly early today to plan the business with Gakushu, who had already received an agreement with an important business official (and he's only fourteen, for goodness sake).

As your shoes clacked on the cement of the sidewalk, you suddenly heard a cheerful voice pipe up, "Hey, (Y/N)! Nice to see you!"

You turned your neck to the side to sight a cheerful, green-haired student running towards you.

"Hi, Kayano-san!" you called back, waving your hands in greeting. You began walking some of the way to Kunugigaoka Junior High with Kayano, where you had a heated conversation...about pudding.

She sure loves her pudding... you thought to yourself, grinning.

When the mountain arrived, Kayano bidded you goodbye and began walking towards the Class E classroom. Meanwhile, you began heading towards the tall school building.

However, before you could reach there, you suddenly sighted a familiar face among the student traffic.

"Hey, Gakushu-kun!" you called, grinning at him and waving.

But, to your surprise, he didn't return the greeting.

In fact, he walked right past you.

Eyes widening, you began running after him, confused. You rushed behind him and tapped him lightly on the shoulder tentatively. "G-Gakushu...are you...okay?" you whispered hesitantly.

He continued to ignore you and kept walking straight ahead. A lump formed in your throat.

What's going on? Why is he ignoring me? Wild thoughts filled your head, and you shook Gakushu vigorously.

"Answer me!" you demanded, but there was more puzzlement in your voice than anger.

At your voice, Gakushu finally turned back towards you, but his expression was dark. "Oh, there you are, (Y/N)-san. I didn't see you there..." His voice came out sarcastic and bitter, which only surprised you more.

"Why are you ignoring me? I just said hello." You tilted your head to the side in confusion. "What's going on?"

Gakushu laughed bitterly, and then glared at you. "I should be asking you that question, shouldn't I? Hmph. How pathetic of you."

"Wha...what do you mean..." Your voice grew hoarse and trailed off. "What did I do? I don't know what you're talking about, Gakushu-kun."

"I'm talking about befriending those Class E brats, (Y/N)."

You looked up at him in pure surprise. "Y-you're angry about that? But Kayano and Nagisa--"

Gakushu abruptly cut you off, his eyes defiant and prideful. Whenever he got that look in his eyes, you truly were frightened of him. You'd been friends with him so long that you'd almost forgotten how scary he could really be. Just like his father.