The Unlucky Number Chapter

~Bleeding Roses~ 

Chapter Thirteen (Unlucky Number!) 

“Jace,” I whispered, tugging on his sleeve. 

“What?!” He grumped. 

“Should we tell her?”

“No, we should not tell her. You can tell her.”

“Why me?” 

“Don’t you think I’ve done enough for you?” 

I was silent. My eyes drifted to the little girl who had sat down on the stool again. 

The old lady stared at us, her eyes narrowed. “I’m waiting.” 

I gulped, wishing desperately that I could hold Jace’s hand for comfort. 

What should I do? Suddenly, I bolted to my feet, running for the door. 

“Annie!” Jace called out. 

I burst through the exit, blinking furiously at the bright sunlight. My feet didn’t stop moving, though, and I ran across the lawn onto the sidewalk. 

I ran for a full five minutes, my lungs burning from the effort. I need to start working out. There was not a person nor car in sight. It felt like a ghost town. 

I got to a harbor, and ran down the boardwalk. I paused at the end, bending over and putting my hands on my knees, as I contemplated what I should do. 

The water glimmered in the sunlight and I thought about jumping in. But before I could, those oh so familiar arms wrapped around my waist once again. 

Jace yanked me over the side, and I squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for the water to hit my body. Suddenly I heard a thump, a grunt from Jace, and then....nothing. What happened? 

I slowly opened my eyes, afraid of what I’d see. But I was on a boat. Jace was underneath me. He’d broken my fall, the sweetie. 

I think I must be bipolar. One minute I’m so in love with Jace, the next I am completely furious. I need to make up my mind. 

I stared into his bright blue eyes. I could totally see where I got the impression that he was an angel. The angel boy...I think I like that name better than Jace. 

There was a slight rustle from behind me, but I paid it no mind. Jace’s lips were so close that if I leaned forward the tiniest bit, our lips would touch. 

His teeth gently nibbled on my bottom lip. I pressed my self closer and our mouths touched for just the briefest instant, before...

“Hey! Are we gonna go or are you guys just gonna sit there all day?!” a soft feminine voice floated to my ears. 

My head jerked up, disappointed, to see Elizabeth sitting on the edge of the boat, her legs swinging and her doll in her lap.