08 | that heart

SCARLETT HAD ALWAYS been a wallflower, staying at the sidelines, watching everyone from a distance while she went about her life.

But it had never bothered her, she was happy where she was. She had a best friend who, she thought, would do anything for her, just like she would do for her. She had boyfriend she was absolutely and madly in love with. It was the kind of love that gave you a head rush, where you couldn't keep that happy smile from your face. And even though she never wanted to face her dad ever again, she had a loving mom.

Scarlett was happy. But happiness doesn't last forever, does it? She never, in her wildest dreams, thought that this could happen, that she would be taken against her own will by the one boy she loved more than herself.

But this was just the beginning of the ending. She was betrayed and broken, again and again and again, until she couldn't stand anymore and thought it hurt less to be lying down than standing up.

Scarlett was the kind of girl that you would go to if you had any question about anything, or if you had a bad day and wanted someone to cheer you up.

Because she was selfless. She put everyone else's needs before her, made everyone else in her life happy before she allowed herself to feel joy.

You could call her at two a.m. and she would be over at your house if you wanted her to.

And maybe this, her selflessness, is what became her undoing. You see, people like these are bullied and thrown to the side. Whereas the lethal, vicious humans who sweettalk you and at the same time stab you with a knife in the back - they are revered today and this is just because we don't take the time out to get to know the real people below these masks that everyone has put on for society.

Unfortunately, Scarlett felt right into the trap and became their prey to pick on.

And slowly but surely, they broke every single ounce of courage inside her, until she couldn't find the will to go on anymore.