Chapter 11

Chapter 11

       "Munro," Laughlin said from his place by the stove, trying to get my attention. However, I ignored him and continued doing my 'homework'. "Munro, come on, are you still ignoring me?"

       "Well, considering I wasn't replying, I would have to say yes," I said. "Besides, I'm doing my homework and you've always stressed how important it is to do my homework on time."

       Laughlin sighed and placed down the spatula he was using before turning to face me. "You can't stay mad at me," he said. "You can't go around thinking that you won't get consequences for everything you do. What you did was dangerous and you were so lucky that you weren't suspended."

       "I don't know, being suspended wouldn't have been as bad as being in the play," I said. "Suspension would have been over quicker."

       "That's true," Laughlin said. "It would have been over quicker. But have you ever stopped to think about it?"

       "About what?" I asked. "How unfortunate I am? Yes, I have."

       "No, not that," Laughlin said. "Munro, what's my talent? My main one?"

       "Boxing," I said.

       "Yes, and what about Nick's?" Laughlin asked.

       "Anything to do with art," I said. "What's the point of...."

       "And what's yours?" Laughlin asked, not even letting me finish my sentence.

       "What?" I asked.

       "What is your main talent?" Laughlin asked again. "Pranking doesn't count. That's more of a hobby."

       I honestly didn't know how to answer that. I didn't really think I had a talent. I had a lot of hobbies, sure, but a talent? 

       I mentally slapped myself. Don't be ridiculous, everyone has a talent. But....what is mine?

       "Don't know the answer?" Laughlin asked.

       I scoffed. "Of course I know what it is."

       "Then...."

       "Gaming."

       Laughlin sighed. "You know what I think it is? Acting."

       "Are you kidding me?" I asked. "I hate being in the play and you think acting is my talent? The only reason I got the lead was because I didn't have to act at all. The main character is basically a representation of me."

       "Munro, no matter what, it takes talent to act," Laughlin said. "Even when someone has to act like a character close to their actual self, some people can't do it. I think you found your talent, Munro."

       I glared at him before going back to the piece of paper in front of me. I wasn't talented in acting at all. 

       Laughlin didn't keep up the conversation. Instead, he turned off the stove and told everyone it was dinner before serving the food onto a plate. Elizabeth was the closest so she was first one there and sat beside me. "Is that my daddy?" she asked, pointing to the picture in front of me.

       "What, no," I lied. I totally didn't draw my brother with devil horns and a pitchfork.

       Curiously, Laughlin walked over and look at the drawing. "What a flattering picture," he said sarcastically. "Art is another talent for you. I mean, you're not as talented as Nick in it, but that actually does look like me. Good job."

       "What, you're not going to send me in another play for drawing you as a devil?" I asked.

       "Nope," Laughlin said. "Freedom of speech."

       Nick and Ginny, Elliot's cousin, walked to the table as well. Ginny was ten years old and was struggling in math and Nick offered to help her, so she was over at the house for dinner as well.

       I had to put my things away and once they were in my room, I went back to my spot on the table. Elliot was there was well and Aaron was laying on the playmat close by. Even though he was a month old, he usually had a huge smile on his face.

       During dinner, I wasn't really focusing too much on eating. Instead, I was just pushing around the food on my plate. "Is everything okay, Munro?" Elliot asked.

       "Uh huh."

       "He's probably too busy thinking about Kamille," Nick spoke up.

       "Shut up."

       "Who's Kamille?" Elliot asked.

       "The girl lead in the play," Nick said. "Munro has to kiss her at the end."

       "It's not a big deal," I said.

       "Uh huh," Nick said. "You barely get along with people, but you get along with her. The only person you ever became friends with was Taylor, and you were twelve."

      "Like I said before, shut up."

       Nick just gave me a smile before he continued eating his dinner. He was such a pest at times. But I could rarely stay mad at my stupid younger brother.

       "So," Laughlin said. "Is this Kamille pretty?"

       "I don't like her," I said. "She's just a girl that I talk to, alright?"

       "Uh huh," Laughlin said. "You know, Elliot was just a girl that I talked to and look where we are now."

       I raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, that's completely differed. She wasn't just a girl you talked to, she's was your girlfriend's best friend. Kamille is literally a girl I have to associate with because of the play." Yeah, I did talk to her a few times here and there, but I probably wouldn't have been talking to her so much if it weren't for the play.

       I was still a bit wary of the idea of kissing Kamille. There was nothing wrong with it, but, I don't know. To be honest, I hadn't kissed a girl before and I didn't want my first kiss to be in front of the audience. Miss Conte said she was saving the kiss between Jacob and Jada for opening night.

       "Whatever you think," Laughlin said.

       I ignored him and stood up from the table. "I'm not hungry anyway. I'll just hang out with Aaron."

       Aaron was, in fact, making small whimper sounds when I did stand up, so I walked over to him and picked him up. Even though I actually did have homework today, I decided to watch TV instead. I sat on the living room couch with Aaron in my lap and turned on the TV.

       I had to figure out a way to get out of the play. I know I tried and it didn't work, but since I found out about that kiss in the end, I was more determined to get out. It may not seem like a big deal to have my first kiss in front of an audience, but it was for me.

       It was time for me to enlist in the help of my accomplice now that he was back. Besides, I was sure Taylor wanted out just as much as I did.

________________

I'm going to enjoy writing Aaron growing up as a baby, like I did with Ryder. However, Aaron probably won't be as weird as Ryder was as a baby.

And now, he's a gif of Laughlin just because.