Chapter 5

{Hazel's point of view}

-8:15 pm-

I walk out of the bathroom in my sweatpants and the same crop top I had on earlier. "Hey guys, I'm going to go on a walk before bed." I say as I put on my moccasins. "Okay, but we're gonna choose a show to watch with you." Rosie says. "That's alright. I'll be back soon." I say and I walk out the door. I'm going to go to the top floor to get some fresh air. I walk down the hall way and step into the elevator. No one is inside. I push the button to take me the roof. The door closes. I can hear soft music playing as the elevator goes up. The doors open and I step out onto the dimly lit roof. I walk over to the edge and look out. The rainbow bridge glows in the dark, and even the palace looks lit up. I climb up onto the ledge and dangle my feet over the edge. I'm excited for my parents to come tomorrow, but then I'll have to wait for them to come back again. "What are you humming?" I quick jerk my head around. "Emerson, you scared me. Was I humming?" I ask. He walks over and climbs up into the ledge next to me. "Yeah, you were humming. Sorry if I scared you." Emerson said. "I was probably humming whatever music they had in the elevator." I say. Emerson nods his head. "It's so hot out here, how are you wearing sweat pants?" Emerson says. "Even if it's the summer time, I always wear sweatpants when I go to bed." I say. "Why?" Emerson asks. "I don't know." I say. Why do I always wear them? Emerson and I are quiet for a few minutes just looking out at the view and taking in the fresh air. "I heard your parents are coming tomorrow." Emerson says. "How did you hear that?" I ask. "Just a rumor going around." He says. "Yeah, they're coming tomorrow." I say. Emerson and I are quiet for a while. "I'm really sorry about your parents. Like how they never want to see you." I say. "It's alright. I kind of understand." He says. "Really?" I ask. "No, not really." Emerson says and looks down. "I'm really sorry." I say. "Don't feel bad. I mean I guess I understand a little bit. I mean if you're turning into a giant green rage monster, then I can kind of understand that you don't want your kids around you." Emerson says. "Yeah." I say. "I just don't understand why I can't even talk to them." Emerson says. "I would say I understand, but I would be lying." I say. "That's alright." He says and smiles at me. I smile back at him. I look back out at the view. "Look! A shooting star!" I say. "Make a wish." He says. I close my eyes and think. If I had one wish what would it be? I wish I could live with my parents. I open my eyes. "I guess it didn't work." I say. "I guess not." Emerson says. "What did you wish for?" Emerson asks. "I wished I could stay with my parents." I say. He shakes his head. "What did you wish for?" I ask. "I wished that the cafeteria would still be open and they have cake." Emerson says. I laugh. "Well maybe yours came true. Let's check." I say and smile at him. Emerson climbs down from off the ledge and hold out his hand to help me down. I take his hand and jump down. "Thank you." I say. Emerson and I take the stairs down to the floor with the cafeteria in it. We walk inside. "Well they're still open. Let's just hope they have cake." I say. "Let's hope." Emerson says as we both walk in. "Look, they actually do." I say pointing. We both walk over to the cake. I reach for the chocolate cake and I realize he went for the same piece. We both let go of the plate. "You can have it." I say. "No please, take it." Emerson says. I smile at him and take the piece of cake. I grab a fork and sit down at a table. Emerson sits down next to me. "It looks like they shut off the TVs for the night." I say eating a bite of cake. "I was just about to come look for you." I look behind me and Rosie is standing at the entry of the cafeteria. Emerson looks back also. "Oh sorry, Emerson and I came to get cake." I say. "That's fine. I was just worried you went to the roof and fell of the ledge." Rosie says walking in. Emerson and I laugh. I eat another bite of cake. Rosie sits down across from me and Emerson. "Want some?" I ask Rosie and I point at my cake. "No thanks." She says. "Do you know if Chase has worked on my bow at all?" I ask Emerson. "He started it right after you left. He's still there now." Emerson says. "Really?" I ask. "Well when Chase gets working on a project, it's hard to get him to stop." Emerson says. Rosie and I laugh. I eat the last bite of my cake just as Emerson finishes his. We both get up and throw out plates away. "Hey, thanks for hanging out with me." Emerson says. Rosie is waiting by the door for me. "No problem. I had fun." I say as I walk towards the door. "Good night, Hazel, Rosie." Emerson says and follows me towards the door. "Goodnight!" I say as Rosie and I make a left down the hall, and Emerson makes a right. I can hear him whistling as he walks down the hall. "Did Harper fall asleep?" I ask. "Yeah." Rosie says. I nod my head. "Let's go back to the room and head to bed." I say.
___________________________
{Hazel's point of view}