Chapter 17

Kehlani POV.

"Bae, I wanna go see my brother." I said turning the radio down.

"Ite." He said.

We pulled up in front of James house and we got out. I knocked on the door and a female came to the door.

"Hello, can I help you?" She said.

"Umm yes, where's my brother?" I asked.

"He's in the kitchen hold on." She said and walked away. She came back with James behind here.

"I'm sorry but I just have to ask, are you zay the rapper?" The girl asked.

"Yeh. You a fan?" Zay said.

"Yea, my names Sonajah. Nice to meet you." She said.

"Yea, you too. This my wife Kehlani."

"Oh yea. I heard about you. I love your clothing btw." She said.

"Thanks." I said.

"Baby, can you like step back so they can come in?" James said taking Sonajah hand.

"Oh I'm sorry." She said walking away.

We walked in and sat down in the living room.

"So how you been doing sis?" James said.

"I been fine. Kayla's fine, Riety she sometimes have her ways but she's ok." I said.

"Oh ok."

"Yea, you heard from layla?"

"Yea, I talked to her last weekend when I saw jayda. Layla needs help."

"Wym?"

"That girl still work at the strip club. And she have this new boyfriend who be getting high all the time. I can tell jayda don't like him."

"Mmh, well ima go see jayda later when I go pick Riety up from school." I said.

"Oh ok. Well lemme talk to zay and you and Sonajah talk." He said getting up, zay followed.

"So, Sonajah what do you do?" I asked.

"Well right now I don't have a job."

"Oh, well is there anything in particular you would like to do as in working?"

"Well, I always wanted to work at a clothing store."

"Oh ok. Well since I own my own business I'll see about getting you a job."

"Oh my god, thank you."

"You welcome, btw where you from?"

"Brooklyn."

"I figured. I hear your accent."

"Oh yea."

"Yep, but maybe we can hang out sometimes." I said.

"Yea, sure."

Layla POV.

I'm so glad I don't have to work until later. I laid down on the couch and turned the TV on.

"You ain't cook yet?" My boyfriend troy said.

"No, I'm tired right now. I will in a few." I said.

"Ion give a fuck if you tired. I'm hungry."

"I said I will cook in a minute. Now you don't work I do. I bust my ass everyday trying to bring food here and keep the lights on and a place to stay. But all you do is sit around and dont do shit."

"Bitch, who tf you think you talking to?"

"Oh so ima bitch now? And I know who I'm talking to a little ass boy."

When I said that he slapped me. I got up and ran into my room and shut the door.

"Open this got damn door." He said banging on the door.

I put my shoes on and grabbed my purse and keys. I opened the window and jumped out. I ran to my car and got in. I started the car and pulled off.

I went to my cousin Rachel house. I pulled up and got out. I knocked on the door and she opened it.

"Hey, what happened to you?" She said.

I walked in and she closed the door.

"I can't do it anymore. Every person I meet always hurting me."

"Do you know why?"

"No."

"Its because you don't have respect for yourself layla. You work at a strip club, you can get a better job than that. Then you got a daughter who supposed to look up to you. If she look up to you and see what you been doing these past years she gone start doing it too. Now ik you don't want that to happen cuz DSS and James gone be on your ass."

"Yea, true. Can you take her cuz I can't raise her."

"Girl that's 2 teenagers and a 8 year old." I said.

"Then where she gonna go?"

"James."

"I guess so."