Chapter 2

A week had gone by since I had moved back home. Today was the first day of school. Summer was officially over. I moaned as Maci shook me.

"Kaitlin, get your ass out of bed." She said.

"Don't swear." I mumbled into my pillow before rolling over.

She chuckled beside me. I stretched my legs out, my toes reaching the end of the bed.

"I'll be down in a minute." I said, opening my eyes.

She turned around and left, giddy for her first day of high school. I grabbed my phone from my nightstand, quickly scrolling through my notifications. I sighed into my pillow.

"Kaitlin!" I heard my moms voice from downstairs.

I got out of bed and opened my door.

"I'm coming!" I yelled back, irritated that she couldn't wait two seconds for me to get out of bed.

I trudged down the stairs to my bowl of cereal waiting for me on the counter. I almost laughed out loud, but then I realized it was nice of my mom to even make me breakfast. I shoveled my food in so I could have time to get dressed. I was so slow in the morning, I really need to get up earlier. Maci ran in, her eyebrows knitted together. I patted her head as I went by. She gave me a small grunt but kept quiet. I slammed my closet open, desperate for more time. I knew grabbed the shortest pair of pants I could pull off. The first few days of school were always nice because you don't really have to follow the dress code. My eyes darted to the clock on the wall. 45 minutes. I grabbed a shirt and headed for the bathroom. Checking in the mirror, I mentally sighed for going to bed with wet hair. I plugged in the curling iron and grabbed my makeup bag. If I'm going to curl my hair, I have to go light on the makeup. I drew a thin line of eyeliner and covered my eyelashes with mascara. I quickly curled the bottom of my hair. I pulled my bangs back in a small braid. This will have to do. My phone vibrated and I grabbed it. I have 5 minutes to be out the door.

"Shit." I hissed under my breath as I slid on my clothes.

"Kaitlin!" I heard Maci yell.

I ignored her, unplugging the curling iron and buttoning my shorts as I ran out the door. I loved these shorts, but they were skin tight as hard as hell to zip. I grabbed my lunch off the counter. I peeked in the bag before shoving it in my backpack. It smelled good.

"Kaitlin, we are going to be late." Maci whined.

I rolled my eyes. I panicked as I realized my keys weren't on the hook.

"Maci where are my k-" I stopped as she dangled my keys infront of me.

Grabbing them, I kissed my moms cheek, and quickly made it to my car.

"Text Lauren." I told Maci as I started the car.

She mumbled a 'yes' and I pulled out of the driveway. Butterflies grew in my stomach. I was always nervous on the first day of school, I don't know why. This was my first time in high school in America. I hope it's not much different from Australia. I pulled the car into Lauren's driveway and waited for her. The cold air hit my arms and I turned the air down. I was wearing a grey tank top that was short in the front and longer in the back that said 'AUSSIE.' across the front in white. It was probably one of my favorites shirts I got there. I didn't wear a tank top under it because it was supposed to be hot today, but it was always cold in the morning here. My car door snapped opened and my heart jumped. She smirked at me, obviously noting the fact that she scared me. I quickly pulled away, hopefully we won't be too late. Lauren immediately turned the radio on. She changed the station to a rock one. I cringed.

"Dude, what the hell." Maci said from the back.

"Maci." I scolded, mainly because she swore, I did agree with her.