Ch 6: Fear of being average

Third person point of view 

"It's Seiun-chan! Yay!" 

"I told you so! I definitely didn't misread while checking the class list." 

"Welcome to Kunugigaoka!" 

And of course, Ginka was given a warm welcome. Almost the entire class crowded around her and happily engaged in looking forward to spend the school year with her. She couldn't find it in her to tell them she might only last for a semester if she couldn't handle the workload but might as well leave them at that until it really happens. 

Besides, it is not within her plans to stay in Class 3-B for long. 

"Settle down, everyone." Sawatari sensei, their class adviser finally arrives, tapping the table to catch their attention. Everyone immediately rushes back to their seats. 

They receive information about expectations and school rules. Keeping transfer students in mind, she discusses how the rankings work. 

Ginka writes down and raises her hand, ["So it's like the same format as the entrance exam?"] 

The tests were divided into five subjects with total scores combined to generate their standing. 

"Correct. We encourage healthy competition and peer motivation so those with highest marks would be publicly posted." The Top 50, she further explains. 

With the current number of students per class, Ginka would have to be within the Top 40 to even reach Class A. And that wouldn't even be enough. If she only barely makes it, then her father would only deem it meaningless. She lets out a deep sigh. It already took so much of her to make it to Class B. How much more should she need to exert herself to meet them at their level?

"I vote Asano-san for class rep!" 

Ginka got startled with the sudden mention of her name after being lost in her thoughts. They were already at that point of the discussion? She was worrying too much to even notice. 

"No objections here! I think it would be fun to have such a vibrant person in charge."

"Hold on, is that even supposed to be a basis for choosing one? It comes with great responsibility."

"Are you saying Seiun-chan isn't capable of that?!" Ginka sweat dropped. She couldn't really blame them for thinking so especially with how childish she presented herself on screen. 

"Wouldn't it be stranger if an Asano wasn't in leading positions?" 

Ah, while this conversation is going exactly where she wanted, it felt like a harsh slap on her face. The gap between them was reiterated once again. Never fails to shake all her insecurities. 

Ginka writes on the paper in attempt to convince them that she wants to take on the role and could actually do well with it but seems like majority of them were in favor of letting her lead anyway.