4: First Lesson

Mark's POV

I had waited patiently the next morning for the General's call, but instead I watched as he and the prince rode out early that morning and didn't return until midday when the prince disappeared to deal with his daily routine in the castle. Disappointed, I learned that the King and the prince had a falling out, leading to the General taking him out for a day and enjoying some free time in the mountains. I was instead called the following morning, early, by a messenger. Groggily, but with excitement, I pulled on my gear and grabbed my sword. I made my way out of the house and down the cobbled streets, the early morning air hitting my nose and turning it red against the cold. I could see my breath, and I knew that I needed to hurry and jogging would warm me along the way. I made it to the steps of the castle where the General was waiting for me, and I kneeled down to bow before him. He chuckled, patting my shoulders.

"Let's go, Mark. The King would like to see us first." I got to my feet, following the General inside where we stood in front of King Jordan. I bowed, again, and they both waved off my politeness with a flourish of their hands. I stood, and the General cleared his throat. "It has come to my attention that Prince Jack has no wishes to be married. As his age stands, he is to be married and seen off to take over the kingdom, but he simply doesn't want to. He wants to experience life and nature, he wants his freedom before it's tied down by responsibilities, your responsibilities." The General explained, and I frowned at this. There wasn't ever a time that I could remember where a prince postponed his coronation because he didn't want to be tied down yet, and clearly the King and the General were perturbed by this as well. "What are your thoughts, your Highness?"

"My thoughts are that he needs to marry and hurry up." The King snapped, and he stood up, pacing around the room now as we remained stationed in front of his throne. "We're on the brink of war with our neighboring kingdom, and this marriage will create the alliance that we all need. This will be the bond that allows our kingdoms to stop the fighting and the raids. Him postponing it for personal reasons is selfish and naive, and puts his entire kingdom at risk. He hasn't stopped to think of anyone but himself."

"Do you really want a king who won't do anything because he hates what he does?" I suddenly asked, and the King and I locked eyes for a moment. "You enjoy your job, don't you? Why would you force your own son to do something that he wouldn't enjoy for the rest of his life? I think it's fair to give him a little bit of time to clear his head." The King looked thoughtful for a moment, turning his glare into a thoughtful gaze and staring at his feet. Then, he locked eyes with the General, and the pair nodded in agreement without even speaking to one another.

"That makes him your responsibility then." The General said, and I felt taken aback at his words. "Your job from now on soldier is to avoid training unless I need you, and I'll let you know when those days arise. When the prince is busy, you'll train. When he's not, you'll train him. He needs to be better at sword fighting, and I want to see you encouraging him towards this marriage. While giving him this little bit of freedom may be just what he needs, we don't have that much time to spare for him. King Jordan is right, there's a war coming." I felt a shiver run down my spine at his ominous words, and I nodded. "Take him, follow him and do as he asks. Remember, you're not his friend so do not get sidetracked here. You are making sure he stays safe while encouraging him to marry." I nodded, and the General glanced at the King one last time with an unsure, but convinced glance. King Jordan nodded in return, and the pair waved me away.

"He's out in the training fields!" The King called after me as I made my way outside. The air had warmed significantly with the rising sun, and I turned to my left to see into the fields. Sure enough, there was a man out there trying to grip one of the default swords given to soldiers without and attempting to swing it. I smiled to myself and started towards him. Under my armor, I felt warm and mildly uncomfortable. It was getting too hot too fast, and I wondered if I should take it off. When I arrived near the prince, getting onto one knee to bow down to him and finally getting a good look at his face, I felt heat flush over my body and make my overheating problem worse tenfold. He was cute, and not in the way that you would pinch a baby's cheeks cute. It was closer to those naturally attractive people that you simply marvel over when they walk by, and I forced my stare into the ground as I bowed.