3: Freedom

Jack's POV

There was a knock on my door. I frowned in my half consciousness, glaring over at it. I was not awoken naturally, and therefore I had no interest in being awake. Whoever had woken me would get the bottom end of my anger, but instead of getting up I simply rolled over and went back to sleep. The knocking came again, and I sighed; whoever it was they were persistent about getting me out of bed. I pulled my blankets over my head, nuzzling down into the warmth of my pillow and ignoring them. My door opened at this point, and a messenger strode in.

"Jack, your father wants to see you. Time to get up!" the messenger announced, and I could imagine him without removing my blankets to confirm my thoughts. He stood in my room, shouting, and announcing things while waving his arms wildly. Then, I heard him walk out and shut the door behind him. I sighed; he was gone. "If you're not up in 10 minutes, then I will return with a trumpet player to wake you!" I cringed at his voice, rolling onto my back and taking a pillow that I shoved over my face and ears. I was not in the mood for this game today.

With a sigh, I removed my pillow and slowly sat up. I gingerly stepped out of bed and stood fully upright, stretching my arms high above my head and yawning loudly. I found my way to my dresser and pulled some clean clothes out that looked somewhat decent, and I removed my pajamas to put them on. I looked at the crown that I had, and I stared at it for several long moments. I hadn't worn this many times since my mum died ages ago, back when it had first been crafted for me, and I had no intention of wearing it now. Instead, I turned from it and I walked out the door, shutting it gently behind me and walking down the corridor towards the throne room.

My father sat there in all his glory, drinking something rather quickly that I could only assume was alcohol, or would help the hangover he had from alcohol the night before. I didn't want to know which it was, and so I didn't bother to question it as I walked up to him and I gave a small bow to announce my presence. My father set his drink aside, quickly ushering the maid who brought it away and he looked down at me. His eyes had bags under them, and I could only assume that he'd had another late night tossing and turning, unable to sleep as a result of thinking. He stared at me blankly for a few moments before focusing in, remembering why he'd gotten me up so early and demanded my presence.

"Jack, Sean, my son! I have a question for you!" I stiffened as he spoke my other name, and I narrowed my eyes at him. He was definitely hungover, or tired. Whether he was still drunk or not was debatable, but either way no one had called me Sean since my mother passed, as it was her name for me. The way it rolled off his tongue and was propelled into sound made me want to flinch; he had no right to use that name. "How are you thinking about that marriage now?" I was surprised to say the least, standing in front of my possibly drunk father while he called me names he knew I didn't like to hear and ask me about something I clearly despised. My fists slowly curled shut, and I was restraining internal anger until the General appeared, and he quickly caught hold of what was going on.

"Your Highness? A word?" The General asked, and I realized after a moment that he was talking to me. He walked towards the front stairs, and I followed him out, trying my best to control my anger. I thought I had made my position on things clear yesterday, but evidently I did not. I walked out the front doors, letting the cold morning air rush over me and calm me. My eyes closed, and I simply listened to the sound of birds waking and the townspeople beginning to move. I let the slight breeze run gooseflesh up my arms, and I stood there and allowed nature to calm me. After a moment, I opened and my eyes and found the General watching my actions with guarded curiosity. Instead of questioning them, and turned towards me and gave me a polite nod. "Are you alright now?"

"Fine, thank you." I said instantly, and the General narrowed his gaze at my response. A prince wasn't allowed to have emotions or cry, and this had been a rule that I was more than knowledgeable about. However, it didn't seem to fly with the General, who laughed at my attempt to remain stoic.