25: Storm's Wrath

Jack's POV

I looked over at Mark as he bent down to sweep up the last of our blankets together and place them on the back of Peach. I grinned, watching his form as he walked and moved. To think I had gotten to touch that form, to explore it for myself and to say that it was mine; well, to tell myself that it was mine. I knew that as soon as we were within Kingdom limits there was no way I could speak about this to anyone. I knew that not only would I suffer repercussions, but Mark would sustain even worse punishment.

He packed everything of ours up, and as I placed it in its proper location and handed it to him, he weighed and evened our items out between the horses to make for a faster trip. He was more motivated to move and clean than I was, but he also had been speaking of a storm that was coming our way. With the graying skies above and the humidity increasing as we worked, I could only assume that he was correct. I paused our sequence for a moment, looking out and over the cliff as we cleared the last of our things from our campsite and taking a last glance over everything that was my solace. This place was the only one I could call me own, and I got to share it with Mark in the best ways that I possibly could, but now I had to leave it all behind. As much as my heart ached not to go, I knew that I couldn't betray Mark and force him to stay with me. I looked over at him as he joined me, and I gripped his hand, taken over by sudden emotion.

"We could run away, you know." I told him, looking directly into his eyes as I spoke. I could see the surprise in his gaze, almost terror even. "We have food, we have our horses and some place to sleep, some shelter. We could do it, right now." As soon as the words left my mouth, I regretted saying them. Mark's expression instantly twisted, and he looked torn apart. I knew that his home, his life, his goals were at home. He was still working to avenge and live out his brother's dreams, and his entire family was still at home. Despite this, my heart still tugged at the cliff sides, at the trees behind us and the wind that rustled through them. Mark's mouth opened, a guttural noise escaping his lips, but no further. I raised a hand, stopping his words or thoughts entirely. "I'm sorry, I got a little carried away with the thought of living off the land and making a home with you, away from everything else." Mark looked at me, and I couldn't help but to lower my head and look at my feet. He placed a soft kiss on my temple, and I glanced up at him.

"I would love to, Jack," he told me with a small smile, and I felt myself blush. "But you and I both know that it cannot be done. Your kingdom needs you just as much as you need them, and they'll need someone who is fair, and kind, and won't ruin them after your father passes on. My family needs me as well, and the other soldiers. Once you're King and completely in charge, then we can talk about spending some more time together, but you need to help your father steer your people in the right direction." I buried my face into his shoulder and wrapped my arms around his neck. I felt his large, muscled arms wrap around my waist and pull me close to him. I had fond memories of his warm skin, of his voice and his breath, his kindness, and I suddenly didn't want to go home at all, with or without Mark, but I knew that he was right. It wasn't my place to turn my back on my kingdom, I knew better than that. I had to go home.

I followed Mark over to the horses, and Agro sensed my frustrations and my sadness. He snorted at me, and I gave him a soft pat on the nose before moving past his large head and leaping onto his back. His fur was prickled up against the cold, and I pulled a jacket from my pack as I felt the wind blowing past us. With a shiver, I looked up at the storm approaching in the distance. It was directly behind us, but by the time we curved around the mountains and through the farmlands, it looked like we would reach the kingdom just in time for it to hit. Mark had his face turned towards the storm as well, his eyes narrowed and his mouth turned into a grimace.

"Are you alright?" I asked him, and he didn't look at me as I spoke. I turned Agro towards him, and the horse seemed just as nervous as he did, pawing at the ground and snapping his tail around rapidly. I reached out hesitantly to touch Mark, who seemed overly distracted by the storm and the lightning that now danced around the dark clouds. I braced my fingers against his shoulder, and he flinched, looking back at me. His eyes were wide, and I felt a pang of fear hit my chest. He rubbed his eyes, and shuddered. "Is everything okay?"