Mockingbird

"Angel." I said and she groaned. She was going through withdrawal again. Yes again from heroin so I was here and Mario was sleeping.

"Angel." I said and she opened her eyes and looked at me.

"Yes?" She asked and her groans of pain got louder. Her eyes kept tearing up, she kept yawning, and her nose wouldn't stop running. I brushed through her hair and she looked at me. I wiped her face and put a ice pack on her head. She looked at me with her pupils dilated and she turned over and threw up in the trash can. I picked her up and walked to the bathroom. She brushed her teeth and I had to undress her so she could cool down. I swallowed two Vicodin as she slept and I walked to the living room and dumped her puke bucket and when I walked in I checked on Mario. His innocent eyes closed tight. I walked upstairs and checked on the kids.

"Hailie." I said softly. She looked at me smiled.

"Hey dad, how's Mom feelin'?"

"She's not really getting better but she will be getting better really, really soon because we are going to help her take it easy."

"Okay." She said and I hugged her.

"I love you." I said and she started shaking.

"I love you too Daddy." She had to wheeze in order to get the 'daddy' part out. I rubbed her back and I picked her up and wiped her tears. Alaina walked in and she was crying too. I picked her up and sat with them on the bed.

"I know sometimes things may not always make sense to you right now, but hey, what daddy always tell you? Straighten up little soldier, stiffen up that upper lip. What you crying about?" I asked and they wiped their beautiful blue eyes.

"You got me babies." I said and kissed their foreheads, "I can see you're sad, even when you smile, even when you laugh. I can see it in your eyes, deep inside you want to cry.'Cause you're scared."

"Daddy, how can we do that you're never here."

"I ain't there? Daddy's with you in your prayers. No more crying, wipe them tears,daddy's here, no more nightmares. We gon' pull together through it, we gon' do it. Laney uncles crazy, ain't he?" Alaina laughed and sniffled.

"Yeah, but he loves you girl and you better know it. We're all we got in this world, you guys are all I got. Y'all have been there for daddy, and you've saved me so many times. I love you guys so much." I said and we hugged again and then I sighed before letting them go. I walked into Angel's room and she was on the phone with Grace.

"What? No, you said you were kidding, NO THAT'S NOT FAIR! GRACE! WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BE best friends." She looked drained as her voice was sucked from her. She wiped her face and laid on the floor.

"I can't believe you. NO THIS-" She quickly breathed and continued," NO THIS IS YOUR FAULT. I'M DONE WITH YOU." She hung up and I came and helped her up. She balanced herself out and her hands on my shoulders and I spoke.

"But no more worries, rest your head and go to sleep. Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream." I said and laid her down and she cramped over.

"No. Marshall I'm fine." She said and limped to the bathroom.