Chapter 12

"No. I-I won't hurt him." I choked out, barely able to stay on my hands and knees. Across the room from me stood Levi, who was battered and bruised and bleeding. I heard the snap of the whip before I felt the burning sensation between my shoulder blades. I cried out at the pain, the dirt below me packed itself underneath my nails as I dug them into the ground.

"Shyla." Levi's voice strained as he tried to refrain from crying. "Please. Just do it."

"No." I growled, clenching my teeth so tightly that it hurt. A hand suddenly wrapped around the front of my neck and it was pulling me back on to my knees with my head tilted back.

"If you do not fight him, I'll kill him." Madame Pierre hissed into my ear.

My eyes met Levi's. He looked scared, more than likely scared that I would be hurt for being so stubborn. He gave me a light nod and tried to put on a smile but it was forced and looked strained.

"On your feet." Madame Pierre let me go and took a step back.

I pushed myself to my feet and tried to catch my breath, but the whip came down on my back again and I clenched my teeth and I squeezed my eyes shut.

"You don't get time to breath." Madame Pierre said. "Now, fight."

I woke up in a cold sweat, my heart thumping in my ears. I found myself unable to catch my breath for a few seconds.

"Ignis." I panted out, wanting to be able to see my room. The candles around my room lit up, providing a calming, glowing light. I leaned back against the headboard for a few moments to try to catch my breath.

The scars left on my upper back ached, like they were demanding attention. I brought my hand up and slipped it under the neck of my sweater to feel the couple scars that trailed over my shoulder.

I soon realized that I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep.

"This is going to be a long night." I groaned and sunk down in my bed.

•*•*•

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Do you want me to kill you, Barton?" I opened my eyes to see him opening the door.

"How did you know it was me?" Clint asked, closing the door to my room behind him.

I had been sitting criss cross in the center of my bedroom with white, black, and brown candles around me, lighting up the darkness of my room. African violet incense filled the room as it burnt in a small black bowl in front of me. 

"I know everything." I put my hands down in my lap. They had been held out above my knees with my palms up. "What do you want?"

"Just wanted to come see what you were doing." Clint sat down in on the edge of my bed. "You've been in here since we brought your shit here yesterday."

"This stupid place is filled with negative energy and bad vibes. I'm fixing it and making it more friendly to spiritual people like me. Now go away."

"Nope." Clint laid back on the bed and looked to the ceiling. "How did you do that?"

My entire ceiling looked like the night sky, dark and sparkling.

"Magic. I can do whatever I want." I stood up and snapped both hands. The flames on the candles went out and the small fire that burnt African violet died down. At the same time, the lamp by my bed turned on so we wouldn't be in total darkness.

I moved to lay on my stomach on the bed beside Clint. I turned over on to my back and he turned over on to his stomach so that he was kind of laying on me. But he supported most of his weight with his hands by my head.