Chapter 32

It just happened so fast.

I don't even know how I got here.

There were so many fancy people, it reminded me of the first charity event I had attended except this one was at the Tower. Soft music was playing and I could hear Tony's big mouth from somewhere in the room. I was tempted to go find him. I knew he thought a little better of me than his co-workers.

"I thought you said you weren't coming, Shy." Levi held his hands out as he came towards me. He was dressed in a black suit without a tie but the first few buttons to his white shirt were undone.

"You didn't hit the right spots with her." Natasha told him from where she stood beside me. "Doesn't she look amazing?"

"She does." Levi grinned a little, taking my hands and kissing my cheek. "Is that dress for someone special?"

"No." I rolled my eyes at him. I wore a black dress that had a slit all the way up my left leg and then it didn't even have a sleeve on the right arm. It showed off my tattoos and I really loved it.

"Let's go get a drink." Natasha took my wrist and began to pull me through the rich crowd to the bar.

As Natasha went behind the bar to get us drinks, I leaned against it, looking through the crowd to see if I could pick out any of the Avengers. Thor was with Bruce not too far down the bar from where I was. Tony was at the center of what I could only guess was a gossip circle. He appeared to be having fun.

"He's not here, if that's who you're looking for." Natasha slid a glass across the bar to me.

"Why?" I asked, picking up the drink.

"I asked him the same but he said he just didn't want to. Said he didn't feel like it." She took a sip of her bright orange drink. "But if you ask me, I say he's still trying to get over you."

"Well.... I didn't really ask for your opinion." mumbled as I took a sip of the alcohol. It burned but I enjoyed it.

"You're lucky I like your attitude." Natasha grinned a little.

"She came!" Wanda leaned against the bar next to me, a bright smile across her lips as she looked between Natasha and me. "And I love your dresses, both of yours. We should go dance!"

"Not yet, Wanda." I shook my head gently.

"Please! You came here dressed so pretty, you need to dance!"

"Let me get some alcohol into her, Wanda." Natasha whispered to her, almost like I wouldn't hear her. I sipped on the bourbon Natasha had poured for me. She knew I didn't like the fruity drinks much. Natasha and Wanda eventually left me at the bar, which I was okay with.

"Are you going to go see him?" Steve asked as he sat on the stool to my right.

"Who?" I asked, reaching across the bar to pick up the bottle of bourbon so I could pour myself a little more.

"You know who."

"I would estimate that there's about thirty five civilians here and I do believe I've seen a few cameras lurking around trying to catch something good for the news." I brought my glass up to take a swig as my eyes met Steve's. "Don't make me turn you into a Golden Retriever."

"I was just wondering." Steve put his hands up innocently. "You always said you were only here for him."

"And Levi."

"And Levi." Steve repeated. He nodded his head just a little and looked down to the beer in his hand. "I know that it's none of my business what happened with you and Barton, it was your relationship. I also know that our beliefs are different and I respect that.... With that being said, can I tell you something?"

My eyes stayed on him, studying his facial expressions. His blue eyes lifted up and met mine.

"Go ahead." I replied quietly, my nails tapping against my glass. A heavy breath left his lips before he spoke.

"I've learned that no matter how much you try to save someone and protect them, you can't always do it."

When I remained silent, he continued to talk, shifting a little in his seat.

"Levi's a part of our team now, Shyla, and I will do my damnedest to make sure he stays alive."

"Why does everyone have to bring this up?" I whispered to no one in particular.

"Probably because everyone cares." Steve gave me a little smile before he stood up. "If you want to go see him, by the way, he's playing video games with Buck down on his floor."

"Bucky can play those?" I crinkled my brows together.

"Clint taught him earlier this week."

•*•*•

I found myself in the elevator about ten minutes later. I pressed the button to Clint's floor and waited anxiously. I didn't know what exactly I was doing, but I did know I didn't want to be at that party any longer.

When the doors parted, I stepped out in to the living room area of Clint's floor. Clint was sitting on the back of a sofa and Bucky was in a chair with his leg thrown over the side. Both men straightened up when they saw me. Clint actually dropped his remote controller.

"Shyla." He whispered my name.

"Hey, guys." I smiled awkwardly, suddenly wishing I would've just left the damn building instead of coming down here. "Why aren't you upstairs, Bucky?"

"Crowds and me...." He shook his head, moving to place both feet on the floor. "Plus, Steve said I should keep it low key that I was here."

"You're not missing much." I shrugged my shoulders gently. My eyes moved to Clint, who shifted a little when I looked to him. "What about you?"

"Didn't feel like it." Clint shrugged his shoulders. "Besides, someone needed to keep Barnes company."

I nodded my head and tucked a piece of silvery colored hair behind my ear.

"You look pretty, by the way, Shyla." Bucky commented a little shyly.

"Thanks." I gave him a soft smile. He glanced to Clint and then back to me, his thumbs tapping against the controller.

"I'm gonna go." He pushed himself out of his seat.

"No, no. It's fine." I shook my head. "I just came down to see why you two weren't upstairs."

"I didn't think you'd be here." Clint spoke quietly.

"I went with Nat when she got her dress and she talked me into getting this one and I really like it so...." I trailed off, looking down at my silver heels. "I guess I'll see you guys later."

•*•*•

The sound of my phone ringing broke through the silence of my apartment. I ignored it and let whoever had called go to voicemail. I wanted to continue to meditate.

Inhale. Two, three, four.

Exhale. Five, six, seven.

Inhale. One, two—

I growled in frustration when that damn phone rung again. I stood to my feet and left my room, stomping out to the living room where I had forgotten my phone.

"What!" I snapped when I answered Natasha's call. She sounded defeated and exhausted.

"You need to come over now, Shyla. Clint's in the hospital and it.... it doesn't look too good."

Vote and Comment!!

<3 Kacey <3