Chapter 25

I traced the tattoos on my arm with my fingers, humming gently. It was around three in the morning and just a day after I had gotten back from Portland. Clint was sleeping on his side next to me with one arm wrapped around my torso and our legs tangled. Ember was laying on my other side, curling herself into a fight ball.

"Stop humming." Clint mumbled into my arm. "I'm trying to sleep. You should too."

"Sorry." I sighed and brought my hand down to place it on the back of his.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Nothing."

"Ask me."

"What were you thinking about?" I lit a candle next to my side of the bed with my powers and turned over to face him. Ember grumbled as she was moved, but then relocated herself to lay on one of the pillows I wasn't using.

"Us." Clint's eyes opened and a lazy smile crossed his lips. "I woke up a few minutes ago from a dream. You were in it and we had a daughter together."

I shifted my eyes and looked down at his chest.

"I'm serious about us leaving, Shyla." Clint's hand on my lower back pulled me closer to him. "We can do it."

"We haven't been together long enough to talk about kids, Clint."

"I feel like I've known you forever though." He sighed out, but then groaned. "That sounded so Disney princess."

"You're my Disney princess." I laughed softly.

"Would you ever consider kids with me, Shyla?" Clint's hand gently held my cheek, then tilted my head up so I had no choice but to look into his eyes. "Just consider it for later on down the road."

"Why are you so adamant on talking about it now?"

"Because.... I guess if you really don't want kids then we shouldn't continue this." His hand fell from my face.

"What?" I whispered. I didn't like the tone of his voice one bit. He was dead serious. "Why?"

"I want kids, Shyla. A family of my own." Clint pressed a gentle kiss to my forehead. "I don't want to force you to change your mind or anything but.... just think about it."

I held his gaze for a few more heartbeats before turning over to put my back to him.

"Shy." He murmured, fingertips gently running up my thigh.

"I'm tired, Clint."

"Okay." He muttered.

I blew the candle out and just stared at the darkness. Eventually, Clint moved closer to me to be the big spoon but nothing else was said for the rest of the night.

•*•*•

I was up just a few hours later around seven and managed to slip out of bed to go to Levi's room.

"Hey, Levi?" I knocked on his door twice before opening it. Luckily, Maria hadn't spent the night or anything so it was all clear.

"Shy, go to bed." Levi grumbled from under the heap of blankets on his bed.

"I will. Just let me lay with you for a while." I closed the door quietly behind me and padded across the dark room to the bed.

"What about Clint?"

I remained silent as I got up into bed under one of the many blankets he had.

"Just let me lay here." I told him. He was on his stomach with the blankets covering from the middle of his back down. I rested my cheek on his shoulder and closed my eyes. "It's been a long time since we spent time together. I.... I don't want us to drift apart."