Prologue

This story is currently being re-written. You are reading the unedited version.

                              ***

"Anya! Please get me some water from the stream!" My mother calls and I hop of the couch in the living room.

"Sure thing mom!" I yell back, picking up the barrel by the hallway and making my way towards the door.

Now you're probably wondering who this little girl is... Let's just say her heritage was passed by for generations, after a fatal disaster of epic causes.

I open the door as the sun shines brightly. The village commoners all walk around calmly, sharing loafs of bread and food. A normal day out in the town.

This little village calls itself "Mystery Lake." A somewhat regular village that never really gets any action. Take the stream for instance. It goes across the entire village, outlining it like a barrier. Magic you say? Maybe... Or maybe it's just regular... Old... Curse.

I hum lightly as I skip my way over the gravel, saying hello to the villagers and pets as I go by.

This village is protected by stream. Or so they think. Soon after the village was made, a forest slowly began to grow. Then another one after that. Of course... The commoners didn't know what was beyond it. They were told not to go. Not to leave the village at all cost... But by who exactly?

I slowly make it to the post. The post that says the village name, and where it will begin. The border. And a few yards after that, is the shining stream.

The little girl knows what she has to do. She's not scared. She's done this many times in the past. But the forest brings unwanted tension that she just doesn't like.

I slowly walk over to the stream, kneeling down and slowly filling the barrel up.

It was until then the girl knew. Something was watching.

My skin quivers and i know I'm being watched. But I have to get this water for my mother. For us.

Once the barrel is half filled, I see something drop down to the floor at the other end. It's not raining is it?

I freeze on the spot, watching as the drips keep falling. I refuse to look up, knowing something's there. But I have to look. I have to know what this beast is.

I slowly glance towards the direction of the sky, and I gasp at the red eyes that look back to me.

Is it real? Is it a dream? Part of her imagination? No. It wasn't. It's all real. That beast is standing in front of her. It's waiting patiently for the moment to strike.

I stare, unable to think as the beast towers before me. It's at least three sizes taller, hairy, sharp teeth, claws and red bleeding eyes. This isn't good.

I want to produce a scream, but the villagers were to busy trading to notice just about anything... It would be no use.

Right. You're probably wondering who I am. Am I the narrator? You can say that. Am I your worst nightmare? Maybe.

The beast cracks it's neck.

Before you know it... The girl is gone. The only thing left was a scream that can be heard for miles... But nobody notices. Nobody remembers that girl. And the whole family ends up disappearing to who knows where.

And the only thing that's left is a distinctive red cloak, that disappears once she's gone.

But did she ever wear the cloak? Did she ever even put it on?

These channels and links are things you need to know about for the rest of the story. The height of the beast, the actions of the villagers are all important notes. Get ready for the foreseen story...

The story of Red Riding Hood that you just haven't heard.