Chapter 1

"Red!"

I shut my jewelry box as my mother opens my door lazily.

"Come on man, we got to go!" She yells and I sigh.

She shuts my door again, her feet moving fast down the stairs and I roll my eyes. I grab my backpack from my bed, walking down the stairs and towards the door where my mother waits excitedly.

I glance at her before opening the door, tightening my backpack on my shoulders and rolling my eyes yet again as my mother follows behind me excitedly.

"I hope you're ready. It's your second to last day of school dude!"

I walk over to the car, turning to look at my mother who sets her hands on my cheeks. My mother seems to be stuck in time. She talks as if she's still a teenager going about her regular day.

"Come on, at least a smile?" She asks me and I give her a look. She sighs, letting me go and I silently open my car door as I slide in.

I set my backpack down and buckle my seat belt. My mother starts the car, and we head out down to my dreaded school.

It's a silent ride as I stare out the side window, watching as all the building and trees zoom past.

"Hey? What's with you? You're oddly quiet... I thought you would be talking away, being excited about the end of the school year," my mother questions as I glance up at her, seeing her dark blue eyes look at me through the review mirror.

I've always admired her eyes. Though mine are extremely bright and sunny, I always dread how much my mother looks... Normal.

I'm not necessarily the loudest person ever. I'm not really that happy either. I'm a bit of a loner, but I never mind. I love to be alone, it gives me time to think.

I give her a small and fake grin.

"I'm fine, I'm just so excited I don't know what to say..."

I glance back out into the open, deciding not to say anything else.

"Well if you'd like... After school we could go out to eat together... Maybe get an ice cream or two huh? What do you say?" She asks, giving me a bright smile and I return.

It was a tradition. We would always go out for ice cream on the last few days of my school year. I would get straight A's, we would celebrate in the quietest way possible, and then summer would begin like nothing happened... But I like it that way.

"Sounds awesome can't wait."

My mother shakes excitedly and my grin widens as she makes a sharp turn towards the school.

She parks in front and I open the door like every other day.

"Hey yo," she calls and I turn to face her.

She gives me a genuine look that I don't see often, making me shift from foot to foot uncomfortably.

"Have fun ok?"

I nod, giving her another smile before waving goodbye.

I run up the stairs as I open the double doors of the filled hallways.

I stand there for a moment, letting myself take everything in... Come on, it's the last two days of school... Just like every other year you go through the same things... Then why do these days feel so different from all the others?

I let a sigh, shaking my head. It's nothing, you're probably just so excited that you... Can't even feel it.

I frown before weaving my way through the crowds of people.

"Hey watch it weirdo!"

"Look where you're going!"

"Ouch! That was my toe!" People shout and I squeeze my eyes shut, feeling in twiddly closed in and I jerk over to my locker.

I hit the locker hard, squeezing myself against it as the rush of people flood past me. Just like every other day... But it feels so different...

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding in, standing straight and opening my locker with shaking hands.
                      ~*~
Lunch is always a mystery. Lunch time at school led me to asking myself questions at night that didn't realize I was even thinking about.

The regular student fights, the police that usually come over to stop them with their police dogs that always seemed to have a gigantic problem with me, and the lovely lunch ladies that just adore giving us the regular mystery meat.

Which only makes things even more... Questionable. Especially at this time of day, when things feel oddly different. Like I woke up this morning from a very long and antagonizing dream of my childhood.

I usually sit alone, except for the occasional times when my friend Maya would join me.

Luckily, or maybe unluckily, Maya decides to sit with me today. But this lunch period was especially weird, and I can't grasp my mind on it.

"Guess what I have for lunch today!" She yells and I give her a small smile.

"What?"

"Your favorite! I have raspberries if you want some!"

I nod excitedly and she takes out a container from her blue lunchbox, sitting down and handing the container to me.

"So... Are you free for later? Dylan says he wants to go to the movies with us."

I shake my head.

"Sorry my mother and I are going out to get ice cream."

She gasps.

"Can I come?!"

Her unusually bright and light cinnamon colored eyes shine and I hesitate. The day seems to flip just then, and I force myself not to shiver. I settle for a small smile instead.

"You'll have to ask my mother, but I'm sure she'll love the company," I respond as Maya wraps her black hair in a quick bun.

"I'll go ask Dylan!"

She gets up, leaving her lunchbox there and I watch as she races over to his table. I find myself staring at them, feeling a weird look come upon my face. I know that they're my friends... But why does it seem to be the first time I'm actually looking at them with new eyes?

I face my lunch again, which consumes of old lasagna and peaches to the side... Ew.

I'm about to take a bite of the lasagna, before the peach juice quivers in my side vision.

I stop, looking down at the lasagna before the peach juice quivers again.

I slowly glance at the peaches, my hands turning sweaty for no apparent reason.

I stare at the peaches, seeing that their all the same from peaches I get everyday...

I tilt my head, my eyes squinting and the juice quivers again. I lean in slightly, my eyes widening. The peach juice begins to make some kind of picture.

It shows a picture of a cloak and or jacket, that I feel like I recognize.