Chapter 19

I don't know how long we stand there. It seems like ages, staring out into the deserted and broken village that lay in heaps. How? Why? And when?

My mother is dead, and I know she is. She couldn't have survived that. Nobody could.

"... We need to go," Trusome whispers, and I don't move.

"Now."

I flinch slightly at his urgent voice, and I glance at him.

"Do you know why?" I ask suddenly and Diana shifts uneasily.

"Why what?"

"Why it would do this. Everybody is dead. Probably eaten-"

"They weren't eaten Red," Trusome says suddenly, and my eyes widen.

"What?"

"Look."

I glance over at the village again, squinting my eyes at the scene. Its true. They aren't eaten at all. Everybody that lived in that village lay dead on the ground, gruesome wounds in the weak spots but all in tacked. What?

"... Again, I don't understand."

Trusome grimaces, rubbing his forehead.

"The beast can't see. But it's smart. That's why we need to leave. If the beast didn't come here for food, it wanted you specifically to see this..."

Diana suddenly flinches.

"It planned this?!"

"It must have! The beast is wretched and highly hungry twenty four seven!"

"But that can't be..." I mumble, rubbing my temples.

Trusome huffs.

"I'm up for better suggestions."

Diana looks up at the sun, flipping her hood up.

"It's almost noon. Wolves will be out soon."

"Wolves?"

Trusome sighs, turning on his heels and walking back into the forest,

"Yes Red, wolves. Don't tell me you were expecting something different."

"It's a forest. I'm supposed to be expecting something different."

Diana quietly follows him, and I swiftly move after them. They know something. Much more then I do.

"... Did you guys know my grandmother?" I ask and Trusome clears his throat.

"Not like we know you."

"Huh?"

He sighs.

"She was taken by the beast Red, we couldn't necessarily save her."

I'm quiet for a moment, and Diana glances at me.

"Think of it this way. We saved you, you're safe, and supposedly your grandmother is safe as well in the house on Crack Ford."

That doesn't make me feel any better.

"About that... You said there was a safe side, and a... Not so safe side... Are we on the bad side?" I ask, and Diana hesitates.

Trusome and her meet eyes for a split second.

"... Well... Yeah."

"Great."
~*~
The wolves howl in the distance, and I flinch every time they do. Trusome and Diana go the way we are supposed to be going for the first time, but I can see their hesitation. Like I said before, they know something. And my brain was itching for me to ask them.