Chapter 13

That night, my mother is asleep upstairs and I toss and turn on the couch. My head pounds, and the only thing on my mind is the forest. I have to go there... I can't just stay in this house, in this crazy village, and not go exploring.

My stomach tugs, and for the slightest moment I think I'm going to throw up. But it isn't that type of sick feelings... It's a wanting. A tempting feeling that crawls through my system.

The only thing that shapes in the darkness behind my eyes are the green trees. The dirt that I miss the color of. I wish I can see that again. I wish I can see color. That's the only thing I want.

The cloak that is now hanging on the door is the only source of color left. And I ache for it.

I open my eyes, the red darkness of the lonely rickety house before me. I flick my eyes towards the ticking wooden clock on the wall. I have to get out. I can't stay here.

It's midnight. And something in my stomach longs for adventure.

I sit up, ignoring my head and slowly turning towards the door. The cloak vibrates and shines with golden light.

I take a deep breath, deciding to go without it. I don't want to ruin the perfection.

I slowly get up, walking towards the door which has my boots. I'm wearing the same thing I had yesterday and it's warm enough to keep me from getting cold. I can do this.

I quietly tie my shoe laces, my heart pounding at the sound of bugs outside.

I stand, closing my hand around the doorknob. I glance up the wooden stairs, seeing in the dark light of my mothers room. She's fast asleep. This will be the only time I can escape.

I open the door, closing it behind me silently. The village is quiet, and only lost dogs and rodents scamper across the moonlit scene.

I take another deep breath, my eyes wandering towards the woods. The hooded figure stands on a tree. It's silently watching me, and in that moment, I have a sensation of following it this time. I can do this.

I walk off the wooden steps, and along the gravel ground. My boots crack uncomfortably against the surface and I continue.

The hooded figure disappears behind the trees again, and I keep going. I'm not stopping this time. This has to be the destiny the mysterious lady was talking about.

Supposedly, my grandmother is behind these woods. Just waiting to meet me for the very first time. I have to do this.

I walk over to the village name, and towards the stream. I finally stop at the edge.

The stream quietly runs along the dirt, relaxing me in a sort of way I like. But I can't stop now. This stream is always holding me back. But not this time.

I look across, seeing the trees quiver in the slightest bit. The rattling starts again, and before my eyes, the trees part. They slowly start to stretch away from each other, making some kind of entrance.

I gulp, the sensation only growing.

And for the very first time, I step across the stream.

The whole village seems to pop. Light bounces for a short second and a wave of air ricochets throughout the entire scene.

And I suddenly see anew. I can see. I can see color.

The green trees, the brown dirt, the dark navy blue sky, all of it.

A crazed smile appears on my lips and a laugh escapes me. A laugh that I don't recognize.

The trees shake like asking for me to enter.

My laugh stops, and I stare into the black dark space. What holds for me in there? I didn't even bring the basket that my "grandmother" told me to bring.

But the color that swarms my eyes makes the fatigue of sadness get rushed away quickly.

This Is happening. Whether my grandmother disapproves or not.

I walk straight into the black space, and the trees close back up yet again. Trapping me.

There is no way out.

And before I know it, the red cloak is around my neck, a blue dress appears along my body.

And the basket is now not full of medicine.

But bread and cookies, and a bottle of milk.

The forsaken tale of Red Riding Hood has begun.

It's time to face the nightmares that she did.

This is my blood line of course.