Chapter 2| Lovebirds

6pm.

It was 6pm and you had barely finished your homework.

It was easily explained though. In the last hour, when you should have been focusing on your mathematics' exercises, you had spent your time thinking about everything but that. But mostly, thinking about Warren, if you were to be honest with yourself.

It had been about figuring out his past so you could understand why he ended up with Apocalypse; what events had led himto take such a path in his life.

You didn't get answers, just more questions. But even though your mind was all about him, your eyes stayed clear of him. You didn't glance at him once and were proud of yourself. The only problem was that you hadn't work one bit, on the contrary of Jean who had made quick work of her homework and ditched you, minutes ago, to meet Scott. Like usual.

Ever since the battle, Jean and Scott had grown awfully close. They were spending a lot of time together: talking, training, joking. And probably really soon, doing more than that. And even though it saddened you to spend less time with your best friend,you were happy for her. Jean had always been rejected because of her powers, and she deserved to find happiness. Which she seemed to find with Scott, considering she told you the morning before that she fancied him. You didn't say so at the time but you had guessed it a few days ago, just by seeing the way she looked at him.You just had to wait now to see how long it will take them to finally act on their feelin--

You jumped out of our thoughts at the sound of someone clearing his throat and realized, quite incredulously, that Warren was sitting next to you, in the exact same chair Jean had been sitting on before she left.

The look of surprise that took over your face seemed to amuse greatly the mutant as a smile tugged at his lips and then disappeared just as quickly. Joining his hands on the table, he leaned on his elbows to look at you, his blue eyes searching yours. You barely had the time to register his wings spread slightly on his sides and the lines of his tattoos that he spoke.

"So, it's a thing," he said, dead serious, his eyes drilling into yours with such intensity that it made you gaze away, toward the couch where he had been sitting the last time you stared at him.

The couch was now occupied by three young girls talking in hushed voices and glancing not quite discreetly at a boy their age who was reading a book on a chair on the other side of the room. Peter was nowhere to be seen.

"What's a thing?" you asked, trying to keep your voice even and your cheeks from reddening. Only the former working.

You were clearly confused about the entire situation.Why was Warren talking to you? Did you have a new secret ability that made all your dreams come true?

"The staring," he answered, the corners of his lips moving upwards.

Well, so it wasn't a new ability. Or if it was, it was a shitty one. Because clearly, talking about the fact that you stared at people, and incidentally at him, was the last thing you would have wanted to be your first discussion about.

But at the same time, you felt vaguely relieved. The only reason he would say that would be because he had noticed you staring at another person but him. You assumed it was the teenage girl watching the television a few meters from you. You were pretty sure you had stared at her for longer than five minutes while you were thinking about Jean and Scott.

"Yeah, it happens to me sometimes, when I think about... things..."

You ran a nervous hand through your hair. Maybe saying that wasn't the smartest thing to do. What would you answer if he were to ask for more details? Trying to avoid this situation, you plucked up the courage and looked back at him, your eyes skimming over his spotless white skin, his blond curly hair shaved on the sides of his face and the black lines of his tattoo, which were both strange and mesmerizing.