Chap.10 - Day Out (2)

You felt something was wrong. You cough one more time, terrified and moved backward, getting as far as you could from Warren.

You stumbled and almost fell again, barely keeping your head above the water. You could not believe it was happening again and especially not now: after all the progress you had made. You had been so successful during the training. And even before that: you did not have one accident with your power for more than a week. You had started to hope you would be fine, that you would not hurt anyone anymore... but you were obviously wrong as you felt electricity building up inside you once again. With so much water surrounding you and so many people in it... It would end badly.

"Are you okay?"

Warren was walking toward you, worried.

"Don't come closer!" You shouted, stepping backwards. You could hear your fear distinctly in your voice. If you were to hurt him, you would never forgive yourself.

He frowned, confused. "I don't understand. Did I do something wrong?" His eyes were searching for yours desperately, trying to understand what had happened.

You stopped: he looked so hurt. You tried to come up with an explanation but your brain was too foggy to think of one. You still managed to mutter: "It's my power. I-I need to get out of here."

You turned around quickly, without waiting for his answer. You were hoping he would take the hint and leave you alone. You swam toward the shore but you were so deep into the water it felt like you were not getting any closer. You did not know how long you could hold on; electricity was already pouring out of your fingers in thin threads. You brought your hands to your chest, putting them out of the water and close to your skin, where they could not hurt anyone. At this exact moment, Warren appeared in front of you.

"You can do it. I know you're stressing out because you are surrounded by water but you've done it before, you can do it again." His tone was reassuring. He moved his hand to touch your shoulder but you backed away from it.

"I don't want to hurt you," You spoke quickly, not wanting him to take your gesture as something against him. "Or hurt the others." You added, looking behind you: Ororo and Peter were drowning each other; Jean and Scott were kissing and Kurt was swimming happily.

You needed to get out of here.

You walked past Warren quickly and headed for the shore but you realized he was not going to let you go that easily when he grabbed your arms, making you face him again. He let go of you when you shocked him inadvertently.

"I'm so sorry." You whispered, tears building up in your eyes.

"Don't worry about it." He answered, not moving away from you. He was looking deep into your eyes. "Focus, you just have to pretend like you're in your bedroom, alone, and do as you would normally. Don't think about anything else. Do as the Professor told you to."

"I can't, I already screwed up once..."

"But now you know how to do it right."

He was so close to you, you were sure he could feel the electric current coming out of you and being conducted by the water around you. It was not strong enough to really hurt him yet but you knew it was not something agreeable to endure. Still, he gave nothing away. He was looking at you, confident.

You closed your eyes and focused on your breathing. Professor X's words came back to you: If you can create electricity, you can make it disappear. You had tried to do it before but it had never worked. Still, you focused on this ball of electricity inside of you, imagining it getting smaller and smaller until it disappeared. You felt it shrink for a few seconds before it got back to its original size.