Chap. 14 - Promise

You were still holding Warren tightly against you after your heartbreaking conversation. You were clutching him so firmly you were starting to fear you would hurt him but Warren did not budge. Maybe he could sense it was something important to you, to have him close to you, to be able to give him some comfort in one of the only way you could: by making him feel less alone. You knew you did not have too. He knew how you were feeling about him, your outburst was clear enough of that. Your face hidden in his hair, you could smell pine coming out of him. It was a reassuring scent, you decided as you whispered to him:

"You know I'll always be here for you, right?"

His face buried in your neck, Warren murmured: "I do."

You sighed. You felt lighter. The tension from his confession leaving you, you relaxed your hold on him. You could fall asleep right now, but the rumbling in your stomach woke you up. You had not eaten at lunch and it had not bothered you at the time but now you were starting to feel your body shutting down, protesting to be fed.

Warren, smiling against your neck at the sound, pressed a kiss on your skin before making you get up with him. Holding hands, you walked downstairs in silence, heading for the dining hall.

Your stomach still grumbling for food, you were feeling more and more tired. Reaching the dining hall, you could only drag your feet to the empty table Warren had spotted, whining about your empty stomach. Warren, laughing at your behavior, tousled your hair as you reached the table.

"Sit down. I'll get you some food."

A tired smile appeared on your lips. He was too good to be true. Grabbing his leather jacket with both hands, you pulled him to you and kissed him. It was only a quick peck but he smiled at you like it was the most wonderful thing he had ever known before leaving, running his hand in his hair.

Sitting on one of the chair, you looked for Jean, Scott, Ororo, Peter or Kurt across the room but they were nowhere to be seen. It was quite late, so maybe they had already eaten. You were about to look back for Warren when Peter appeared on the opposite chair across the table. A gigantic grin was glued on his face. Staring at you, he did not say a word. His fingers were tapping on the table quickly making your head hurt. You knew what he was waiting for but you did not want to give in so easily. You stared back at him for as long as you could, your fingers drumming on the table too but his seemed to move quicker at every second, driving you insane. When you could not compete with him anymore, you almost shouted:

"Okay, please, stop it!"

Peter's grin turned into a smirk as he stopped moving his fingers.

Rolling your eyes at him, you admitted: "We're together. Happy?"

Unconsciously, a smile spread on your lips as you said it. Warren was really driving you crazy.

Peter sighed dramatically. "I know. And I was the first to see it, am I not wonderful?"

Giggling at his serious expression, you only had the time to glimpse Ororo appearing behind him before she gave him a slight tap on the back of the head.

"That's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard coming out of your mouth, Peter. And I've heard a lot!"

As Ororo sat next to him, they started to bicker. Jean, Scott and Kurt took a seat on your right with their trays full of food. Warren appeared seconds after, two trays in his hand. As he sat on your left, he slid your plate to you. Two huge part of pizza were waiting for you, making your stomach groaned. You smiled at him broadly, thanked him and started to devour your food. You vaguely glimpsed Peter winking at Warren and assumed they must have talked about your relationship already. Kurt and Scott, who were the only one not knowing, did not say much. Kurt smiled shyly at you, seeming happy for you, and Scott joked about it, warning Warren about becoming your personal slave, like he was with Jean.