Chapter 13 - Meet the Parents

Maine couldn't take it anymore. All she knows is that he loves him very much and she can't live without him anymore. She knows that her life will be empty without him. The short time that they have spent together flashes thru her eyes. She realized that when she came to her life gained a life of its own. She's happier and more contented. With these realization, she made her decision.

She opened her eyes and kneeled down in front of Richard as well. She reached out her hand and hold his face and wiped his tears. Richard then held her hands and kissed it.

"I love you so much Maine. You're my life. Marry me please."

"I love you too, Love! I can't live with you too. Yes! Yes, I will marry you."

Upon hearing her declaration, Richard immediately kissed her passionately pulling her to an embrace. Maine's knees is feeling weak and will anytime buckle because of the position they are in at the moment but is at the same time overjoyed with happiness. She kissed him back with all the love she has for him. As the kiss deepens, they both found peace and contentment in the arms of one another. After several minutes, they break apart as they catch their breaths.

Richard continued to hold her and embraced her. When he finally felt that Maine leaned on to him, he then started to stand up and carry Maine. He helped her stand up. Maine tried to disentangle herself from Richard's arms, but he refused to let her go. Their faces are still only inches apart as their foreheads are still leaning to each other and their breaths are still mingled between them.

Maine was looking straight to his eyes, and said "It will not be easy from here on. We both need to face my family, err my father." She pointed knowingly.

"I know. And I am more than willing to do so. Facing him is easier than facing a life without you. I will do anything just to be with you."

"Thank you. Thank you for not giving up on me. Thank you for making me realize that I can't live my life with you."

"Thank you for accepting me for who and what I am. And most especially, thank you for accepting me whole-heartedly."

He then removed the ring on the small box and placed it on her ring finger. After putting it on, he kissed the ring on her hand. "I love you! So much."

Maine admired the ring on her hand and tears were starting to flow again on her eyes. She's overwhelmed with everything that happened just a few minutes ago.

"Hey, why are you crying?" he asked when he saw the tears falling down from her eyes.

"It's just too much. I was about to break up with you earlier, and then now I am your fiancée. How weird it that?"

"It's more than weird. I do believe that we are destined to be together. Since that night I saw you in Paris, eating alone on a Christmas Eve, I already felt the pull towards you. I have never felt any strong feelings towards anyone since that time. Never, until we met again. And I knew that you're the one."

------------------------------------------------------------

Richard and Maine arrived at L' Hexagon de Clover restaurant. They approached the Maitre d'hotel and ask if Maine's parents were already there. They were informed that they already arrived and they were about to be ushered to the table. Maine's hold on Richard became tighter as they approached the table. Richard in return squeezed her hand softly as a form of reassurance that he will be right there beside her. As they approach the table, Maine is becoming apprehensive and when she saw her father's back she stopped on her tracks. Upon realizing that Maine stopped, Richard then stopped as well and faced her.

"Hey, everything will be alright." He reassured her. "I just here. Whatever happens tonight, you will still have me." He then kissed her lightly in her lips and smiled.

Maine was so overwhelmed with the impending meeting, but upon hearing what Richard just said, she felt a sudden calmness that enveloped her. As long as she's with Richard, she can handle anything, she thought. She then smiled at his boyfriend.

"Ready?" he asked.

Maine nodded and said, 'Yes."

When they arrived at her parent's table, they noticed that her father's business partner were not yet there and so she thought that it's a good omen to immediately introduced Richard.

She approached her father's side and kissed his cheek and did the same to her mom.

"Hi Dad, mom. How are you?" She said.

"Hi princess. We are good. It's good that you're here already." Her mother said.

"Yeah. Sadly my business partner and his son won't be able to join us. There is a board meeting in his company and advised me that they can't make it. We will just rescheduled it some other time." Her father added.

Upon hearing what her father said, she took the opportunity to introduce Richard.

"Oh really. Well, I think that's a blessing in disguise as I have something to tell you." She started saying. She then step aside so that she can pull Richard beside her. She then smiled to Richard and said, "Richard, this are my parents, Theodore and Mary Anne Mendoza." She then turned to her parents and continued "Dad, Mom, I would like you to meet Richard, my boyfriend." She said with a huge smile.

Both her parents didn't saw that a guy was standing a few feet away from their daughter. When Maine was done with the introductions, Richard immediately reached out his hand and said "Nice to meet you Sir, Madame." And he was also smiling.

Upon seeing him, Theodore turned red with anger. He silently said. "You can't be serious Maine. He can't be your boyfriend."

"But, Dad..." Maine tried to speak.

"Mr. Mendoza, please give us some time and listen to us..." Richard then begun to speak as well.

"Enough, I will not have none of it. Do you think I don't know who you are?" he said pointedly. He then turned to Maine and continued "You don't know who this man is. You're better off without him."

Richard and Maine were shocked with what they heard.

"You know him Dad? What how can you say that to him?" Maine asked.