Chapter 1 - Kitchen Hell

Emcee: Presenting, the graduates of St. La Salle University, Bachelor of Science Major in Culinary Arts.

Handing out of Diplomas:

Emcee: Mendoza, Nicomaine Dei y Capili

This is it. Finally. Maine thought as she received her diploma from the school's regent. She had been looking forward to this day. The day wherein she can proudly say she had achieved something that she can be proud of. Living in the shadows of her parents her whole life was both a blessing and a curse. A blessing in the sense that she exactly know what she will be doing her whole life. But that is also a curse in a sense as people expect her to be better than her parents. People expect her to be one of the best student chefs as her parents were known celebrity chef. She have all the accesses she needed to excel, but whatever effort she puts into it, she always feel that people find her lacking. Completing this degree was nothing but ordinary for the people around her, as it is expected of her. For her, she had invested her blood, sweat, tears and time to everything she can just to get this degree with minimal help from her parents. And she's secretly proud of herself even if others see it the other way. She was looking forward to working at Hotel du Louvre, one of the most prestigious restaurants in Manhattan.

"Maine." Mrs. Mendoza called to her after the ceremony was done. She approached her daughter to embrace her and congratulated her. After a while, she let go of her daughter.

"Thanks Mom." She replied.

"Congratulations, princess. We are so proud of you." Mr. Mendoza said after giving her a kiss on the forehead.

Maine smiled and thank her father.

"So let's go and celebrate." He added.

At Hotel du Louvre a table was reserved for the 3 of them to celebrate her graduation. A banner was even put up on one side near their table to recognize her achievement. She felt proud during that time.

Once they were settled, her father then spoke. "So, now that you graduated, it's time for you to enter the real world."

"Yes, Dad. I'm excited to work here." She answered enthusiastically.

"Here? What here?" her father inquired.

"Here at Hotel du Louvre." She said pointedly.

"What are you saying? You're not working here." His father said.

Maine was surprised with this statement. She opened her mouth to speak but no words came out.

Her father continued, "You will be working on one of our restaurants in lower Manhattan."

"What?!? Are you serious?" she exclaimed, but deep inside she already know that her father is telling her the truth.

"Of course. You will serve their as the assistant chef. You will need to work your way up. You can't just expect us to put you here just because you're my daughter. You have to prove yourself."

"But, I can work here and prove myself. Why put me in a small restaurant?"

"Well, the pressure here is different, besides it better there as you will learn to do the basics. It's really different environment compared to your make believe setting in school. You'll soon find that out."

"I already know that. That's why I want to work here. Here, where all the actions are taking place."

"Maine, you can't just insist on what you want. Besides, the kitchen is already full, there's no vacancy. Trust me on this one, you're better off to start in one of our smaller restaurants." He said with finality.