Chapter 23 - Hatchling

Zack frantically looked around, running from building to building, searching for me. He could hear his own rapid heartbeats and rubbed his hair roughly before looking at a certain building from a distance. He followed the stem of the building and panned up to the sky, his teeth now locked tight, "Shit! What the hell is she thinking!"

Zack felt a tap on his shoulder, he flinched before turning to look behind him. One glance was enough to calm Zack down as Emily had appeared. Emily spoke in reassurance, "I saw what happened."

Zack grabbed Emily's green, leaf patterned jacket as he exclaimed, "then I don't need to explain how much of a bad idea this is! Who the hell is this Shiro girl anyway! Did you plan to do this, huh!? What the hell are you thinking!?" Zack panted, behind his cold blue eyes there was an unrelenting fire burning inside.

Emily noticed the behavior and grabbed onto Zack's hand that held onto her jacket, "I did not plan any of this, you need to calm down. Taking it out on me won't solve anything." Emily's eyes transitioned from emerald green to rose violet as she stared into Zack's stern eyes.

"I won't let Nathan be in danger, I promise. Now, could you please let me go, you're gonna rip my jacket off," she continued as she mentally concealed Zack's panicked emotions to allow him to calm down. Zack's panting slowed down, letting go of her jacket.

"S-Sorry, I don't know what got into me," Zack apologized as he backed away, why did I do that? Of course, it wouldn't be Emily, you idiot.

She turned to her left. "So he's falling from the GTT, isn't he?"

Zack confirmed it with a nod. "Do you happen to know if Shiro is there with him?"

Emily paused, looking up at the GTT. "She's with him but she suddenly offered him a race. It's strange though, I can't seem to read her mind. I know that she's there because of spectating through Nathan's vision." Emily squinted her eyes to focus up at the clouds. "It seems that in this race, whoever reaches the bottom fastest will win."

Zack turned to Emily, raising an eyebrow, "what kind of race has that logic?"

Emily shrugged, "apparently this one."

"So...what do we do? Nathan is falling helplessly, we have to do something, don't you think?" Zack advised.

"No... Let's simply watch," Emily suggested, her thoughts filled with curiosity.

"Watch? We just sit here and watch? Why!?" Zack's eyes twitched and he frowned to Emily's response.

"Every hatchling learns to fly by themselves without any help from their mother. Like how every Nymph learns to adapt from water to land and become a Dragonfly. Nathan is smart, I'm sure he'll find a way out of it," Emily explained.

"That...-" Zack thought about it then sighed before continuing. "Good point," he admitted as he watched the sky. Something came across Zack's thoughts as he turned to Emily and asked, "what if Nathan isn't able to find a way and continues to fall?"

Emily panned her head at Zack, there was silence as she spoke, "it will be a domino effect. Nathan is already traumatized from the Phase of Separation, if he hits the ground, the shock of pain that he will feel will only enhance the trauma. The more traumatic he becomes, the less he is willing to learn. If he is not willing to learn, then he has a long way to go before becoming a proper CoDa."

"Can't we just save him when he in at our sites?"

"Yes, we can but life as a CoDa is no different than the real world. Nathan needs to understand that there will be situations that will go against what he favors and he needs to be able to adapt those situations. This Shiro girl may be rash but I feel she is doing Nathan a favor by having him experience this. Just put your faith in Nathan that he will make it."

Zack looked at the sky then sighed before nodding. You better make it out of this, Nathan.

--------------------------------

To Be Continued

-------------------------------

Thank you for reading the 23rd chapter of my story. 

Yes I know, this was quite short of a chapter but it's either this or I take 2 weeks to do one long chapter and I'm sure you all don't want to wait that long ;) I know that I wouldn't wanna wait that long.

Anyways, the Next chapter, Chapter 24: Storm and Chains will come soon.

Be sure to share this with your friends and Vote for the chapter if you liked it.

See Ya Later, Punks!