14

"LAURETTE, ARE YOU going to attend the annual Halloween party this year?"

"Is that even a question? I live for Halloween! Or should I say – I'd die for Halloween?!"

The annual Halloween party was only the greatest party ever. Although none has ever seen its hosts, rumors have been floating around that the hosts are British royalties. I wouldn't rule out its possibilities since none of its decorations have been recycled for another year, and its snacks and drinks are entirely imported from European countries. Some even assume the jack – o – lanterns are carved out of pure gold, but I found that a little ridiculous. Because of how grand and accepting the party is, no one else in our town dared to throw another Halloween party for years.

Every year, the hosts set a theme for dressing up. The previous year's theme was animated films, and due to my obsession for the color yellow and my mother's urge for me to wear overalls once more before they go out of styles, I was a minion. That year's theme was pairs, and I thought to discuss with Ramona to dress up as the iconic best friends from our favorite show.

"I was thinking you and I could go as a pair, fitting this year's theme?" Marven spoke, warming my heart towards the idea that we could perhaps be a pair on other days too. But now that I sensed a tint of his interests towards me, I wasn't going to seem desperate; I was going to play hard to get.

"Are you asking me to be your date? Marven, that's adorable but Ramona is my best friend, and I would never date her ex." I replied.

"I never said it was a date. We could dress up as a pair of best friends." Ouch, I wasn't expecting him to say that. Then again, what could I expect? He just got out of a relationship five minutes ago. "You know what, we'll decide that later. So what are you going to dress up as?"

"I haven't decided yet, but pretty sure a TV series character. What about you?"

And then he smirked, as if he was a villain on a kids' show and came up with a genius plan. "I haven't thought of a costume either. So can I just go as your boyfriend?"

Our potential intimate moment was intruded by the recess bell. Walking towards the benches beside the soccer field, I found a certain brunette rubbing her eyes in a rapid motion. "Ramona? What is it?" I asked, embracing her in a hug. Once the waterworks stopped, she opened up.

"I've planned to have the break up conversation several times, but in none of those times has he been the one to break up with me. So having Marven turn the tables around and abandon me instead made me feel so weak and worthless. How do you make this feeling go away?"

"You can't, but time can. And look on the bright side Ramona, you no longer have to lie to Marven or hide your feelings for Daelan. You and Marven were going to break up sooner or later, and he just spared you a tough conversation. You should be celebrating!"

"Laurette, be completely honest; do you think I've made the right choice?"

"Well, do you feel happy now?"

Ramona didn't answer, and I didn't push her to so we sat in silence for a while. Mona's eyes scanned around the field to stop her tears from pouring out again, and accidentally met with those chocolate brown pair of Marven's.

"Did he say anything to you after I left?" Ramona asked, as I contemplated whether or not to reveal about the minor romantic encounter we shared.

"Not much about you. We just shared some sappy conversations. I convinced him into believing that things will get better, and that's something I want to tell you too." I vocalized as I wrapped my arms around her with a desire for her to feel safe and secure, because grieving the loss of someone who is still alive is the most crushed feeling ever.

"Oh and Mona, there's something you need to know." My conscience forced me to say.

"Marven sort of asked me out. Well, to attend the annual Halloween party with him as friends, but I thought you needed to know nonetheless."

She considerately pushed me away, breaking our physical contact. "He did what?!" Mona grumbled with frustration.

"I think he's using me as a rebound for you."

Ramona let out a bitter laughter, scaring the inner child inside me. "Oh honey, you have been right about a lot of things but I think you've got this wrong. I think he has been in love with you this entire time."