O8

LEANING AGAINST THE backboard of my slumber comfort, I stumbled across pictures of Marven and Ramona kissing, hugging and laying on each all over social media. The comment section was flooded with freshmen hoping they'd own a relationship as adorable as theirs, and it was pathetic that I could relate more to them than the pixelated figures.

In a group chat Ramona has created for the three of us to plan cosy school hangouts, Marven expressed how pleasant his time with her was. She replied with dry texts, and though he couldn't take the hint, I knew she wanted to be isolated from him. If only I could have been honest with him, I'd spill that Ramona isn't in love with him but I am.

The hours were going by with the motion of the late autumn breeze, and I've never felt more alone. So I did what I normally do when I feel as though I don't have a place in this world; I carried my backpack of comforts and headed to the rooftop of my apartment, my safe place.

Since the first day of living here when my mother showed me where to hang our clothes, I've been captivated by our rooftop and the breath-taking view it provides. A cup of cold coffee in one hand, a portable device playing music on the other and the ideal view of the sunset in front of me never fails to tame my disturbed thoughts.

Daelan, Ramona's supposed secret lover and a resident of my area found my safe spot through the horrid social media platform, and insisted on clearing the air between us. But I know what he was scheming; he intended to get on my good side so I'd utter a pleasant word or two about him to her. Technically, he could have asked for my help with no sound of humanity and I'd do it willingly since it would benefit me, but I was better than a selfish relationship wrecker.

Before listening to what he had to offer, I blurted the 'do you like her' question. He shook his head, his cheeks opposing to his false gesture as it turned rosy pink and he couldn't help but smile at the sound of her name. Ultimately, he gave up and confirmed my suspicions.

He said Ramona's eyes told a story and he picked up on that story in bits and pieces with what words cannot always succeed in communicating, and that captivated him for some reason. He thought her eyes tried to convey that she is compelled to stay with someone who doesn't bring her the joy she deserves. She's with him out of gratitude for pulling her out of her gloomy state. He thought she's secretly in love with him.

Daelan promised he had no intentions of stealing her from Marven, but he wouldn't keep his distances from her either. He believes she has the freedom to keep a guy best friend around, to protect her and be the shoulder she cries on if Marven ever hurts her. Then again, he promised he would never let that happen as long as he's beside her.

As her best friend, every cell in my body protested against the idea of Daelan and Ramona, but as a pursuer of Marven, I nodded to his promises and said Daelan was being considerate.

Daelan concluded our talk of dusk by saying he knew an action Ramona was to perform that she hasn't even given me a tease about. I could feel my heart sinking, because Mona never kept secrets from me. We have developed a sisterhood over the past years and suddenly, a boy was is to weaken our bond?