16

STROLLING AROUND THE soccer field with my arm draped around Ramona's shoulder, we were approached by a certain athlete whom I dislike but also is thankful for. He walked towards us in a jolly mood, his fists clenched as his expression unveiled good news. We increased our pace as we were both anxious on the news that awaited us.

"Ramona, I have something to ask you." His devilish smile appeared as he chanted. Ramona nodded for him to go on. She stood at a firm posture that complemented her ideal body and beautiful locks that glistened under the sun, and as much as I hate to admit it, I do see why guys are usually attracted to girls like her.

"Laurette, hope you don't mind me stealing her for a minute?" Daelan asked. Though it was a question, it sounded rather like a demand and I didn't dare to risk the consequences of saying no.

"Sure. Ramona, I'll be waiting right here." I replied, before watching their figures shrink into the cheerleading benches.

Dragged by Daelan, they disappeared under the leafy shade of our campus, gaining unwanted stares and smirks. Once the group of freshmen boys at the far end saw his presence imminent, they stood up and marched towards the basketball court to make room for them. It was the power Daelan held; a power able to make one love yet fear him, and it was a great accessory to Ramona's personality; to love and to be protected.

Daelan rested his hands upon his thighs, rubbing them against the fabric of his uniform. Ramona raised an eyebrow, confused to what this was about but he botched to grasp her expression. She shifted her gaze towards me, and I decided to lift my thumbs up, giving her the courage to answer whatever was on his mind.

Shortly, I turned my gaze away from the lovebirds, glancing upon the soccer field or precisely, where Marven used to stand. Marven had set off to his homeland earlier this week to spend the beloved Thanksgiving with his extended family, while I choose to remain in my habitation to spend the occasion with none other than the voices in my head. It wasn't that my family was one of those grumpy families that disliked holidays; we were just never big on festive celebrations. Mother always proclaimed that when you're in good health, every day is a joyful celebration and father's work hours never provided him a chance to sit by our dining table and have a meal as a family.

That conversely, never bothered me. I was accustomed to isolation. It may sound depressing but I found peace in solitude. I often wonder how long I would be able to sit still, if I belonged to one of those families who invite all the branches of their family tree to a Thanksgiving dinner. For me, an ideal celebration would be sitting against my bed headboard, reading a borrowed library book while sipping on hot chocolate and listening to the pitter patter of raindrops.

I guess that's why Marven means a lot to me; he's the only person whom I enjoy giving up my solitude for.

A New York minute later, Ramona rushed back to me. Happiness and bliss spread across her face; I comprehended that Daelan finally took the initiative of asking her out and Ramona's response was yes. I guess now would be the perfect time I reveal my feelings for Marven to her.