12

MARVEN LIED TO his parents about the reason of his lack of motivation for school, and as parents of four primary school students and a teenager, they gave little to no concern and allowed him to stay at home for as long as he wanted. I won't lie; sometimes I wish I was born into a family where my parents gave less concern so I wouldn't be walking on egg shells at my own home, but then I think of how the tension made me a better secret keeper and finder and it's all worth it.

A few days later, after Marven returned, Ramona acknowledged his prior absence and asked me if it was because of anything I said. I opened my mouth to speak, but our teacher, Mrs. Thomas disliked me with a burning passion and told me to stand up for being a disturbance to the class. I wasn't entirely sure why she disliked me, but it sure had something to do with me failing every science test. Mrs. Thomas ordered me to move away from Ramona and sit at the empty space, on the other corner of the class. And guess who's sitting right behind me? Marven.

"I suppose you guys were talking about me?" His delusional, yet highly accurate mind asked. When he saw how I was maintaining perfect silence so Mrs. Thomas doesn't humiliate me again, he passed me a note.

'So Laurette, who do you I should date after Ramona and I break up?'

'You know it's not necessary to date someone right? You can focus on your individual being and work on bettering yourself. When the time is right, without fail your positive vibes would attract another.' I wrote back.

Then he passed another note. 'That sounds right, but if I don't occupy my mind with another, memories with Ramona are going to flood back and I'm going to continue questioning myself what I did wrong.'

'If so, you should wait a while so you don't mistake a rebound for new love. You need to find someone you have chemistry with; someone you're positive you'll love and will love you back.' I wrote, waiting for his reaction once he reads the references I made with the lesson we were being taught.

"Oh my god." Marven laughed aloud, before he tapped on my shoulder and whispered. "You."

It was moment worth melting for until Mrs. Thomas caught us giggling, reached her boiling point (excuse my science puns) and ordered both Marven and I to leave the class. What's worse was that she ordered Ramona to accompany us, to ensure that we bring ourselves to the principal's office.

Though we didn't speak at first, all three of us were aware that a very uncomfortable conversation was about to take place.