Chapter 5.1 - Between Monsters

Charles Greyford gazed from the window of his laboratory up on the seventeeth floor of an office building which the Crimson Fall had been using as a front for years. A city, blanketed by the shadow of night. Little lights like stars illuminating the streets. The smell and sound of crashing waves nearby.

It was on an evening like this that he his aspirations had been inspired so many years ago.

He was hardly twenty-two years old, an intern at a pharmaceutical corporation. His mentor, the head of research, was a man oblivious to the world of magic yet aware of Greyford's talent in the field of biology. He was like a father to him, often praising him for his findings and making it his business to support the youth in his endeavors.

"Humans are intriguing creatures, don't you think?" The man had told the young Charles. "Kick them down to the lowest depths and they will rise up again. Whether biological evolution is true or not, it's essence is. In the face of strife, danger, and need, we develop the means to adapt and survive. And then we thrive! The people of today, in their luxury or laziness, do not see this anymore. But that is why we are here, to ensyre that humanity can continue its evolutionary legacy."

Excerpt from StarryDays & Sunlit Nights, Volume 3. Please support us on Patreon to read therest, or buy the eBook on Blurb or Amazon Kindle when it comes out. Muchappreciated <3