17 : Stratagem

1st December, Girls' Dormitory, Mahiru's Room, 10:00 a.m.

"Noras do possess tails, but myobu is a fox. Their tails don't function like Nora's."

"Let's just put that aside. I'm going to see Nanami." All stated in the report didn't make any sense. Our conversation didn't profit anything. I was curious about the myobu though. But all I had in mind was just to see Nanami. I just can't believe Nanami's in the prison.

"Return this to the General. Once he notice the report is gone, we're dead." I advised Anju.

"It's a copy of the report, don't worry." ...Come on, why didn't she just tell me that earlier? Having me worry...

"So... I'm going to the prison. What'll you do now?" I headed for the door.

"Oh, I'm going to check on Aina."

"I see. Send my regards to her when she's awake."

"No problem."

...................................................................

Tenjitsu Prison, 10:25 a.m.

Took me a while to find this place. No one knows about this place though. Ah, as filthy as I thought. It's quite dark too, since it's underground.

"Is there a person called Nanami Izanami being held here?" I asked the one on duty patrolling the place. He gave no response until he'd actually saw my shoulder bars.

"P-pardon me, Sergeant Major! Yes, there is this Nora being held here."

"Where is she?" I asked.

"That's..." He refused to answer.

"I came under the General's order." Thought I might be able to lie to him.

"Y-yes! She's in the cell at the end of this hallway!"

"Hm, thank you." So he resumed his duty as I headed to the cell he was talking about. Here I am. In front of Nanami's cell. I was able to look at her through the small hole. It's dark inside but I managed to see her face.

"Nanami? Is that you?" I just wanted to confirm that it's her.

Her head was lifted up. "Mahiru? Why are you here?" I can tell it by her voice. She's weak and lack of energy.

"I came to look for you."

"..."

"Those clothing fit you."

"A Farsya handed it over to me... because it's cold in here...and lonely."

Being locked up in a dark place is just too lonely. No one can stand in solitary for a long time, one will eventually just break down mentally.

...
"I'll get you out of here, Mahiru. I swear I'll get you out of here. Until then, I'll stay by your side. You'll not be alone."
...

..."I'll get you out of here, Nanami."

"Huh?"

"Even if it's Aina, she'll do the same thing."

Nanami looked down. Maybe she didn't like what I say. "It's fine this way. I deserve this."

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm not worth it anymore. Just leave me alone."

"You can't just...-"

"Tell Aina that I'm okay. I don't want her to worry."

"But it's better if you're there when she wakes up."

"I can't."

"Why...?" The moment I ask her, she covered her face with her palms. Tears roll down her cheeks. She began whimpering. "I'm sorry..."