20 : Awakening

2nd December, 1:20 a.m.

"Why, Anju?"

The arrow made it through her heart. Her weakened eyes looked at me, as she kneel to the ground. Blood spurted out from her mouth. She clutched my arms as she's in great pain.

"I'm sorry, Mahiru..." Her consciousness started to fade.

"Ahh...no... Anju, look at me! You can't...you can't die yet... T-there's a lot I want to tell you about... You can't..." Tears rolled down my cheeks.

Her bloodstained hands wiped them off. "Don't cry," she muttered softly.

"I...I shouldn't have get you involved with this... I'm so sorry..."

"You didn't. I just wanted to help you."

"...Why?"

Anju used all her remaining life force to put a smile on her face despite of her injury.

"You're my precious friend, Mahiru..."

Her grip loosened as she continued to spurt blood. "Go, before it's too late..." All she wanted was for me to leave her and make a run for it. If only I had put her out of this, she wouldn't have to die today. If only we had tomorrow...

"We'll practice shooting again, Anju."

As her smile faded away, my legs did its job when she triggered a flashbang. All I did was running, running away from whom I left. Like back then.

Near Odawara, 1:45 a.m.

It somehow felt like it has been a thousand years, travelling here on foot. I'm tired. Why wasn't Jun here...

"...You." Someone poked me at my back.

"I thought it was supposed to be two of you." Jun said that right at my face.

"Why did you have to leave?"

"Huh?"

I grabbed her hood and was planning to throw her a word, but it simply won't change the past. "The General sent someone to kill me...but they killed Anju instead. She died because of me."

"I see... I'm sorry."

"Sorry?"

She looked away from my eyes. "It's strange, to have a friendly conversation with a Farsya."

It's strange for me too, for me to ask a Nora for help. But it has to be worth it. I have to go to the right person for help.

"Please, Jun." Tears wet my cheeks. "Please lend me a hand..."

"Please... Don't let Anju die in vain..."

It was disgraceful for me, for a Farsya to plead a Nora.

"I'll keep my word. Trust me."

"...Thank you."

We were going to form a temporary friendship when someone threw a grenade between us. It exploded right after I noticed it. My arms were scorched by the flames, it hurt so great that I can't feel them anymore.

Jun seemed to be unhurt, but she was barely conscious. That moment I felt despair, when I saw the face of Anju's killer. He's right here, ready to put me out of my misery.

"Stop running away, Sergeant Major. We'll still catch up to you."

That feeling was unbearable. That feeling of anger, the feels to be angry at the person who killed your friend.

"SUBARU HISATO!! I'LL KILL YOU!!"

"Go ahead, orphan."

Orphan...? How did he know that I'm an orphan?