Chapter Eleven

The drive home from school was better than the day before. Mist seemed to have relaxed around Venom, opening up to her about her day. She had just finished giving Venom a recap of the all-out girl fight in the locker rooms where they girls were changing out of their swimming clothes, and some girl called another fat. Poor Mist almost misted out of the bathroom to get away. Venom tried her best not to laugh at the poor girl's trauma, it wasn't easy though.

So when Mist stopped talking Venom felt she could ask Mist about driving to school with Jack. 'So Jack offered to drive us to school tomorrow.' She said.

'Why?'

'I don't know why he asked to drive us to school, I think it is something normal people do?.' She shook her head not really understanding it herself. 'Anyway, I lied about why we were late today saying my car wouldn't start. So Jack offered. I think it would be a good way to get closer to him, but I wanted to check and see if you were alright with riding in the car with him?'

Mist shrugged. 'Sure, if it helps the mission.'

'Yeah that was my thoughts exactly.'

She pulled into May's street and frowned when her house came into view, a black car sat in the driveway. 'Did May say she was having someone over today?' Venom asked, a bad feeling settling in her.

'No, but I didn't see her this morning.'

'I did, she didn't mention anyone, then again she probably wouldn't tell us even if she were.'

'Shadow would have sent us warning if something was wrong.'

'Yeah.' Venom agreed, not really sure if she believed it. He did save her the night before, but that could have been out of fear of what Maker would do to him had she died, she sighed stopping the car in front of the house. 'I have a bad feeling about this.'

'I could mist into the house and see who it is.' Mist offered.

'No.' Venom said sighing again. 'I am just being paranoid for all we know this person comes over to May's place this time every week.' She reached into the back seat and grabbed her bag. 'Come on, I have a report to type up for Maker, and I need to call Jack.'

They got out of the car, and walked up the front footpath to the front door. Venom couldn't help but feel like the black car was mocking her. There was just something so familiar about it. Mist opened the door and walked in first. She stopped suddenly, Venom almost running into her, when she reached the living room entrance. Venom side-stepped her, giving her a quizzical look before turning and looking into the room. She froze where she stood, not believe her eyes.

'Hello Venom.' The Crone said with an evil smile. 'I have been waiting for you to return to May's house.'

'What.' Venom looked at Mist then back at the Crone and started again. 'Why are you here?'

'Maker sent me.' She said clasping her hands in front of herself. 'He said you have an incident last night, he wanted me to run some test to see that everything is ok with you.'

Venom took a step back, she was tempted to turn and run out of the house. 'I'm sure they could have waited until I finished my mission.'

'Maker didn't think so, now come along we have a lot to do and not much time I'm afraid, I am needed back at the compound tonight.' The Crone turned and started walking towards the door that led down into the basement.

'I thought we were supposed to stay out of the basement.'

May who had appeared behind Venom snorted. 'Like I was going to say no to her.'

Her heart started beating so hard and fast she thought it was going to burst out of her chest. She really didn't want to go down there with the Crone. She also knew she didn't have a choice. Taking a deep breath, she looked at Mist and gave her a weak smile. Before turning and walking towards the basement.