twelve.

A S H T O N

I picked at the spaghetti Bella ordered on my behalf, only half-listening to the conversations flowing from every person's mouth. Only Bella was unnaturally quiet as well, but she managed light conversation with our guests.

Shame. That was what I felt. If only I listened to Bella's reminders. I wasn't useless. But my self-pity landed us in a tight spot.

I could never tell Bella who actually took all our money. She'd only get more upset. I had to give him all our information. I was so tempted at the offer of repaying my wife of her hard work for over a decade. I saw her work tirelessly since the death of our unborn child just to distract herself from grief. I wanted to give her a break. I was tempted by the man who claimed I owed him.

Bella barely made eye contact with me since our argument in the bedroom. Instead, she had her eyes trained on Harry as he gave her looks of comfort.

I had come to learn that Bella confided in Harry of our financial troubles. My small dose of depression had distracted me from the fact that my wife was spending an increasingly large amount of time with her ex. And who was to blame for that? Me.

I fell out of my trance to hear Bella laugh lightly at something Harry said, and it only fueled the monster brewing inside of me. It was my dumb idea to invite Harry to stay with us. I had no idea that Bella would let her guard down so easily.

But Harry Styles was my wife's first true love. I'd be stupid to ignore the fact that they were comfortable around each other, a sense of comfort that fifteen years of separation wouldn't destroy.

I could see it in his eyes. The way he looked at her with regret. He still loved her and his marriage was falling apart. He had no obstacles in his pursuit of Bella.

Not even me anymore.

Years and years of trust between Bella and I was destroyed. If only I listened. If only I didn't trust too easily.

Riley's hand had found mine, and she gave it a reassuring squeeze. My little girl could sense my discomfort without even trying, and the tension welled inside of me went away.

The small gesture was a reminder that I had to keep going. If not for Bella, but for my two beautiful children.

They still saw hope in me. Perhaps it was only because Bella hadn't told them anything, but I didn't care. It was because of them that I didn't feel the need to jump off a cliff after checking my bank account balance.

So the fury that built up throughout the dinner at the blossoming relationship between the perfect man in front of me and the love of my life went away.

I thought inexplicably of my children and their innocent, unconditional love.