sixteen.

A S H T O N

Having Harry around didn't exactly help my insecurities, but his presence was strangely comforting. Like it was supposed to be like this. I hated it.

I thought it wouldn't get any worse. But it did. Because at noon, I received the call.

"Ashton," said a familiar voice, filled with worry. It was my younger brother, Harry, and his tone was not a cheerful one.

"What's wrong?" I asked immediately. I didn't need something else to be worried about, I really didn't.

"It's Mum.... she doesn't want you to know just yet. But you need to."

My heart raced. "Harry, what is it?"

"You need to come over, I can't tell you like this."

I laughed, cynically. "You can't just expect me to hang up now. Tell me."

"She.... she has cancer."

I replayed the words that came out of my brother's mouth over and over again. I took a sharp intake of breath, attempting to think clearly.

"Ashton?"

"I'm on my way," I promised.

B E L L A

"Another job interview?" Ashton was rushing frantically to get the car keys. We were saving money, so we only left the house when it was absolutely necessary.

"N-no." His voice cracked, and I rushed to his side.

"Ashton... where are you going?"

"Mum's," he responded. His eyes glistened with tears and I waited for him to finish his sentence. "Bella, I just want to see my mum."

In any other scenario, I would've stopped him. Told him it was a waste of petrol. His tone scared me, and I released my grip on his arm.

He gave me a weak smile, and walked out the door. I had a strange feeling, knowing inside that this trip wouldn't bring good news, but I decided not to dwell on the unknown.

Harry walked up behind me, staring at me solemnly. "Why so serious?"

"Nothing."

He was facing me, and raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure?"

"No," I answered honestly. "I'm definitely not sure."

We looked at each other, and I felt myself naturally leaning in closer. Our noses touched, our lips centimeters apart. My eyes were shut, and so were his.

His lips brushed against mine, and my eyes shot open.

I inched away, eyes wide. "I-I should go upstairs."

Harry looked down, not making eye contact. He simply nodded.

"I-I mean, I should check on Will."

He cleared his throat. "Yeah," he said softly. "Go."

I turned away, my heart racing. Harry and I almost kissed and I wanted it more than anything. Why?

a/n:
sorry for not updating in a million years. this sucks, i'll be back soon!