Chapter Three: A Walk in the Park

*** Later that evening ***

We've returned back to the apartment and Kelsey and I are sitting on the deck relaxing while Sam's gone to get a few groceries.  The view is so peaceful here.  The deck overlooks the park and I can see the river in the distance.  It's so easy to forget what I've been through as I savor the moment.

Kelsey takes a sip of her drink and turns to me. 

"Thanks for not staying mad at me.  I honestly didn't tell Ben about your powers.  I just told him I had someone for him to meet.  He may not admit to it, but he's shy around girls.  I'm always trying to introduce him to someone I think he might like." 

"So you were trying to set me up!  Just not the way I thought."

Kelsey smiles, "Yes... Please don't be mad."

Looking at her I try to put on a mad face, but I just start laughing and throw a napkin at her.  She laughs too and throws it back.  Holding up my hand it stops in mid air. As it tumbles above the table I realize what I've done and let it drop. 

Kelsey smiles and shakes her head slowly, "If you only knew, how special you really are." 

*** Back at the Lab ***

Ben's looking over the data he collected. Smiling to himself, he stops working... and thinks about Caitlin.

"I know we just met, but I feel drawn to her somehow.  She's so beautiful and full of mystery.  Kelsey's always trying to fix me up with someone, and most of the time I hate it.  But this time... I'm glad she did."

He shakes his head to snap out of it and returns to his work.  When Caitlin was at rest all the data was normal, but as she began using her ability, the data readings doubled. When she lifted the pen and it started to spin quickly, her alpha waves were heightened and her gamma waves went through the roof. That's the same ones that are heightened when someone has a seizure, but she's shown no sign of one.  This data is like nothing he's seen, but then again, neither is Caitlin.

*** The girl's apartment ***

Sam's returned from the store so Kelsey and I help her put up the groceries. She reaches into a bag and holds up steaks, "We're grilling out tonight."

Afterward, we're outside on the deck relaxing.  It's so peaceful... watching the sun go down.

I turn to my friends, "When will you two go back to class?"

"In two days. Monday I'm sorry to say," answers Sam.

"Don't worry. You're our guest and you can stay here as long as you like," Kelsey says.

She pulls a key out of her pocket and hands it to me, "I've been meaning to give this to you.  While we're at school you can check out the local parks, museums and whatever you like. We'll be out of class every day by at least three."

"Thank you..."

"I love being here with my new friends.  I know I probably shouldn't, but maybe I will stay for a while longer..." 

Kelsey stands up, "I need to stretch my legs.  Let's go for a walk in the park."

"Good idea," Sam replies, so we get up and head out.

*** Across the street ***

The park's very beautiful and has a nice walking track, a lot of trees, and the river runs through it. As we walk Kelsey and Sam are talking about an ex-boyfriend Sam dated. They're telling a story about him when we begin to hear two people arguing.