Chapter Thirteen: Yeah, What Are the Odds?

After Kyle and Sarah have left, we all sit back down on the deck. "I want to thank all of you. Except for my Brother and Sarah back at the ranch, I've never had anyone care about me before."

"We meant what we said. This is your home and don't forget it," Sam says.

Ben squeezes my hand. I lean over and give him a kiss as he puts his arm around me.

"Aren't they precious?" Kelsey teases.

"Yeah... True love..." Sam agrees as both of them snicker.

Looking over at them I use my thoughts to pull both of their hair slightly.

"Ouch!"  They say in unison.

"Your right, that does hurt," Sam says as we all laugh.

Later on that evening after Ben's left and Sam has gone to bed, it's just me and Kelsey on the deck. We have the oil lamp lit and are sitting at the table having a glass of wine. 

"Don't you have class tomorrow?"

"No, classes are out. There's some kind of faculty meeting."

"Oh, okay."

We remain silent for a few minutes and I notice she's staring at her glass... looking like she's a million miles away.

"Alright, what is it?"

She snaps out of it, "What?"

"I don't have to be Sarah to know you were in deep thought."

She smiles a little, "I was just..."

"If you need to talk, it's just the two of us."

She looks at me for a moment, then takes a sip of wine and sits her glass down.  I've never seen her look so nervous. 

"I... I don't really know how to tell you. In fact, I've never told any of my friends."

"Well, just come right out with it. That usually works for me."

She grins a little, and takes another sip of wine. After sitting her glass down she takes a deep breath, leans up to the table.  Then reaches over and puts the cover over the torch putting it out, and takes it back off.

"Alright, What's going on?" I wonder.

She leans back in her chair and stares at me for a moment like she's trying to make a decision.  

"Okay, here goes."

As I'm watching she stares at the torch for a couple seconds... and it lights.

"Oh... My... God... You're Pyrokinetic! How long have you known?"

"Like you I found out by accident.  As a child I was always fascinated with fire. I would just sit and watch a fireplace or campfire for hours."  She pauses and takes another sip.

"The day I found out was my birthday. My Mother threw a party for me and there were seven of my friends at the kitchen table. She had started lighting the first of sixteen candles and as usual I was staring at the flame intently. Suddenly, all the other candles lit at the same time. My Mother jumped back and my friends were amazed, then started laughing. They thought they were some kind of trick candles. As I looked up at my Mom I saw fear in her eyes and I knew that somehow, I had done it."