Chapter Six: A Visit from SPD

After a couple of hours, my friends have calmed me down and Ben's about to leave.

"Are you going to be alright?"

"Yeah, I feel a little better now.  I'm sorry our first date went..." I shake my head not knowing what to say.

Ben gently cups my cheeks with his hands, "I know tonight wasn't what either one of us wanted, but I really enjoyed spending time alone with you."

I look into his eyes as he takes me in his arms and we share a long kiss. "I'll see you tomorrow. Try to relax and get some sleep. If you need me, please call."

"I will. Thank you for taking care of me."

"I'll be there for you anytime you need me. Goodnight beautiful..." 

"Goodnight," I say smiling and close the door.

Kelsey and Sam are sitting in the living room as I walk back in.

"I'm going to try and get some sleep."

"If you need us, wake us up. I mean it Caitlin... Okay?" Kelsey asks.

"Thanks guys," I say as I continue into my room.

After closing the door I change into my night clothes and get into bed. I'm trying not to, but I can't help but think about everything that's happened.

I wish I would have acted sooner and stopped him before he shot all those people. The feeling of guilt is almost overwhelming.

My thoughts turn to Ben and how I feel about him. Is it wrong to let anyone get close to me? Should I even be here putting my friend's lives in danger? Maybe I should leave... Maybe I shouldn't have left the safety of the ranch.

Thinking of Sarah I wonder if she's been keeping an eye on me with her ability.  I expect she has. A smile breaks out as I think about her having to hold back Kyle to keep him from coming to my rescue.

Suddenly it hits me how much I miss them and wish they were here.  Turning over a tear falls, and as I hug my pillow... the darkness overtakes me.

*** The Dream... Three in the morning ***

Waking up I find myself sitting up, gasping for air and I'm drenched with sweat... again.  Looking around the room I see everything I've levitated and I quickly gain control of my thoughts and ease everything down gently, for once.

Holding my chest I have the same heavy feeling of loss and just like always the dream fades away...

"Why am I being tortured like this? What have I done to deserve it?"

Lying back down, I curl up into a ball, and cry myself back to sleep...

It's Sunday morning around ten when I wake up.  Walking into the kitchen I see Kelsey's already up cooking some eggs. 

"That smells good."  I say.

"Good morning.  Grab a plate.  It's almost ready. "  We get our food and go outside onto the deck.  It's a beautiful morning and the sun feels wonderful.  As we sit down to eat I notice we have toast for a change.

"I thought the toaster was broken?"

Kelsey pauses for a second, "Well, I can improvise when I need to."